How would you breed Colombian Tetras?

Fish Folk

I’ve had this school of Colombian Tetras for awhile now. They swim in a tight pack, and eat with aggressive gusto. Their fins have colored up spectacularly.  I’d like to plot out a plan for spawning them. Tetras are still kind of new to me for breeding. I’ve watched LRB show Ted Judy’s method with a screen-bottomed smaller tank inside a larger tank so eggs fall through holes... I’ve studied Greg Sage’s method with breeding barbs in moss and shallow water... I’ve watched Mark’s Aquatics tutorial videos on breeding other tetras... but I’m curious what info the Forum might offer. I do realize they’ll need space to themselves. In current tank, the larger cichlids dominate the space.

Here is a pleasant 1-min video of these. Apologies for the Acaras photo-bombing near the end 🐟

I breed mine by feeding them up with plenty of live and frozen food i took the biggest female and put her in my 15gallon with the bottom covered in Javan moss the next day a add the male in the evening just before turning the lights off i put tank we're it got some natural light Frist thing in the morning  after  two day I had a  lot of eggs  after 36hr they hatch after they had absorbed there yolk sac I feed them Infusoria and crushed flake Frist till there were large enough to accept baby brine and mirco worms  I manage to raise about 50 fry about half died after during  the Frist week  just a word of caution the male can be very aggressive and kill the female I would monitor them very closely

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Great looking fish. Ive been growing out java fern in the tank with my Rosy tetras hoping that eventually theyll spawn and a few of the fry might at least make it until i can swoop them outta there. I havent seen any spawning activity yet but just added indian almond leaf for the first time to see if there are any noticeable changes with some extra tannins. *fingers crossed*
48F03E91-3705-4B8A-BE8D-466716C1C0FF.jpeg.e0aa1a20abb29c60b1841f3d64382610.jpeg4261C7A8-CD15-4763-833A-722C995B4BB1.jpeg.feff8e20e989c73b40a25302c65334ff.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/26/2021 at 10:55 PM, Sliceofnature said:

Great looking fish. Ive been growing out java fern in the tank with my Rosy tetras hoping that eventually theyll spawn and a few of the fry might at least make it until i can swoop them outta there. I havent seen any spawning activity yet but just added indian almond leaf for the first time to see if there are any noticeable changes with some extra tannins. *fingers crossed*

In my experience Tetra like this breed frist thing in the morning just before tank lights go on if you add some gound cover plants like Javan moss with the catappa leaves you add you might get a couple of fry to survive

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 3:07 PM, Colu said:

In my experience Tetra like this breed frist thing in the morning just before tank lights go on if you add some gound cover plants like Javan moss with the catappa leaves you add you might get a couple of fry to survive

Perfect. So far just been waiting on the java moss to grow in further. Im trying to grow it in sortve a matte on the rocks and then also up into the driftwood for hiding spots.

FAE16A83-6AE9-45DC-B84B-C8306872A533.jpeg.c0a9e2f4f8f877d7dcab7d4a04f8d338.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 11:15 PM, Sliceofnature said:

Perfect. So far just been waiting on the java moss to grow in further. Im trying to grow it in sortve a matte on the rocks and then also up into the driftwood for hiding spots.

FAE16A83-6AE9-45DC-B84B-C8306872A533.jpeg.c0a9e2f4f8f877d7dcab7d4a04f8d338.jpeg

It's my favourite plant  to use when spawning tetras as you get some  nice thick clumps of Javan moss you should start to see more breeding activity

• Like 2