Goodeid species Chalapichthys pardalis breeding!

Kat_Rigel

I was very excited to see my goodeid tank after work. It is an aquarium strain of Chalapichthys pardalis, originating from Lake Chalapa in Mexico. You could clearly see the dominant male displaying to various females. I was able to get a pretty good video and wanted to share it here. You can also see one of the other males trying to sneak in at various points, but the dominant male is having none of it and chases him away pronto! I just thought this was so interesting and entertaining. You can REALLY see it at about 16s.

I'm not sure if the male succeeded at breeding, since he kept being forced to chase away other males. I suspect he did at some point. If I wanted to ensure success, I would separate out a male and female so they could continue undisturbed, but I want to see if this  will work without much interference from me.

Additional details:

Room temperature (70.6*F)

There appear to be 2 males, 3 females, and 2 juveniles. Juvies were not involved in any of the breeding behavior- they were ignored and they ignored what was going on around them.

20gal long, planted, fluorite substrate, no CO2 injection

Species only tank aside from some mystery snails

Rotate food between Xtreme Spirulina flake and Xtreme Nano. I'll also throw in a tiny bit of Xtreme Krill flakes one in a while, but my understanding is that these fish are largely vegetarian leaning so I stick mostly with Spirulina and Nano.

Fluval U1 internal filter as well as a sponge filter. Seems to be ok despite the internet info saying they do not like flow. I think the U1 doesn't have much oomph.

Bonus: Plant pearling!

• Like 4
  • Love 2