Hitchhiker (Snail) Identification

Glen

Hi All

I was hoping someone could help me identify the couple of hitch hikers that have made their way into my tank on some plants. I’m not looking to get rid of them just want to know what they are to care for them properly. 

DAAEA0F4-1FE7-4D1F-A12B-8D2F01DEE88A.jpeg

4612B666-26D4-4E20-9CC0-28E449D8E170.jpeg

The first one looks like a bladder snail, and the second a pink ramshorn.  I have both of these types in my tanks and they are  hardy and prolific breeders, eating leftover food and dead plant matter.  The bladder snails stay smaller maxing out at maybe 1/2 inch, the ramshorns can get closer to an inch. My pea puffers love to eat the bladder snails, but not the ramshorns for some reason.  I personally don't put any effort into their care and they are always thriving, but I also have hard water.  If you see pitting or white marks on their shells they may be calcium deficient and would probably benefit from something like a wonder shell or possibly a shrimp food.  I love me some snails, especially if i see a BIG one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Free snails are the best kind!  I still remember the first time I saw a pink ramshorn in my tank, I was shocked. I'd never seen or heard of them before and they were so different than the snails I was used to seeing.  

• Thanks 1