Platy suddenly has white bump on head

Chlo

After doing a water change today, I noticed that one of my platies has a white bump over it's eye. It's hard to see but I don't believe it is fuzzy like fungus. I only noticed it after I added water back into my tank so I think it appeared recently. (In the pictures her belly is kinda big because she ate a little too much recently)

• pH 8
  • Nitrates 10-20
  • Hardness 17 dGH
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer 6 dKH
  • Water Temperature 76 F

2021-06-18.jpg

2021-06-18.jpg

2021-06-18.jpg

2021-06-18.jpg

I’m going to start off with a guess of Popeye. If it is, that eye will bulge more and more. Once it gets to both eyes... it’s bad, often fatal.

If I’m right, one way to treat us dosing API ERYTHROMYCIN as directed.

We have one discus who had it, and went blind in his eye. But he survived. 

On 6/18/2021 at 4:15 PM, Fish Folk said:

I’m going to start off with a guess of Popeye. If it is, that eye will bulge more and more. Once it gets to both eyes... it’s bad, often fatal.

If I’m right, one way to treat us dosing API ERYTHROMYCIN as directed.

We have one discus who had it, and went blind in his eye. But he survived. 

Oh ok, would it be better to treat the whole tank or should I move her to a quarantine tank?

Also, if it is popeye could it have been caused by an injury? Because I think it randomly popped up

Edited by Chlo

On 6/18/2021 at 7:23 PM, Chlo said:

Oh ok, would it be better to treat the whole tank or should I move her to a quarantine tank?

Also, if it is popeye could it have been caused by an injury? Because I think it randomly popped up

Yes, QT tank is best. And yes, possibly an injury.

On 6/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, Fish Folk said:

Yes, QT tank is best. And yes, possibly an injury.

Ok, thanks. Should I wait a little bit to make sure it is popeye? And also popeye isn't contagious right?

On 6/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, Fish Folk said:

You can wait. Sometimes it cares for itself. If caused by an injury, it’s not contagious. If from something else, it may develop in other fish. I usually perform a 25% water change.

Ok, I just finished setting up the quarantine tank though...so would it be fine to move her just in case and maybe use salt or something because I think it is supposed to treat injuries and popeye? 

Oh and also my tap has ammonia, so I added media from the 20 gallon but would it be fine to add prime everyday too because last time when I used a quarantine tank it took forever to process the ammonia in my tap

Edit: actually maybe I'll just keep her in the main tank for a little while since moving her will probably stress her out a bit

Edited by Chlo

Chlo....really tough to tell from the pic, but do the platy's mouth/lips have a bleached white appearance? If so, it could be a sign of columnaris, and the white by the eye could be related to that. Just another possibility. I have never had a fish with popeye, so I can't speak to that possibility.

On 6/18/2021 at 5:42 PM, quikv6 said:

Chlo....really tough to tell from the pic, but do the platy's mouth/lips have a bleached white appearance? If so, it could be a sign of columnaris, and the white by the eye could be related to that. Just another possibility. I have never had a fish with popeye, so I can't speak to that possibility.

Hmm they seem to be grayish yellow which is normal I think

On 6/19/2021 at 1:53 AM, Chlo said:

Hmm they seem to be grayish yellow which is normal I think

Looks like an injury to me I would Qarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons as a proventive measure if it is Popeye the salt will help reduce the fluid buildup in the eye

Edited by Colu

On 6/18/2021 at 6:31 PM, Colu said:

Looks like an injury to me I would Qarantine and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons as a proventive measure if it is Popeye the salt will help reduce the fluid buildup in the eye

Ok, I'll try that. Should I wait for the quarantine tank to cycle?

On 6/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, Colu said:

You can wait for Qarantine tank to cycle or add some filter media from one of your other tanks to kick start the process

Ok, I added some cycled media from the main tank

So the white bump has gotten better on the platy but I noticed the past few days that she has been flashing against the sand and plants a few times and she also has done this weird motion where she wriggles her body (not really like shaking it but like curving and bending it side to side). She also is pregnant I think, I thought she was too young but she has what looks like the gravid spot and her belly is big

On 6/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, Colu said:

Flashing can be caused by parasites or poor water quality such as high levels of ammonia if you parameters are all ok it could be gill flukes 

My water parameters are fine, last time I checked. Visually the platy looks fine (I think) but I'm not sure what the other symptoms of gill flukes are

On 6/26/2021 at 12:26 AM, Chlo said:

My water parameters are fine, last time I checked. Visually the platy looks fine (I think) but I'm not sure what the other symptoms of gill flukes are

The symptoms of gill flukes are rapid breathing and fins held against the body and flashing your fish rubbing against thing in the tank

On 6/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, Colu said:

The symptoms of gill flukes are rapid breathing and fins held against the body and flashing your fish rubbing against thing in the tank

Oh ok, she doesn't seem to have rapid breathing and her fins aren't clamped. She's swimming around the tank normally, and I haven't seen her flash against objects today. Is it possible that it is stress? Or something related to her pregnancy? 

On 6/26/2021 at 1:36 AM, Chlo said:

Oh ok, she doesn't seem to have rapid breathing and her fins aren't clamped. She's swimming around the tank normally, and I haven't seen her flash against objects today. Is it possible that it is stress? Or something related to her pregnancy? 

It could be stress related I would monitor her if you see her rubbing on thing.more frequently I would treat with paracleanse

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

I'm in an identical situation, found this page (and this site) googling the symptoms. Do you happen to have any update on your situation?

For myself: my adult female platy fish has recently developed a single white spot on her head. I assumed it was just White Spot / Ich, but it varies between being a sharply-outlined spot and a fuzzy patch. I'm totally lost on whether it's fungus or White Spot, or something else entirely. It's only the one spot and hasn't been seen on any of the other fish in the tank as of yet (this is the fourth day of it)

I got her as an adult and she has always been a gold-brown colour, this white patch has appeared out of nowhere and doesn't seem due to a change in scale colour. Any advice?