Recommended fish for my 30 litre (6.5 gallon) tank?

HonourWest

So I've sadly lost both my betta and my cory bronzes. I plan to get my tank cycled properly before another purchase (I've been discussing this saga/tragedy in the "Ongoing fish & tank issues" thread in Diseases)

I have a snail, 3 black neon tetras and one orange tetra. The pet store told me it didn't matter if they were different colours/types as they school together anyway. Based on personal observation this isn't true. (I hope to get more orange ones and maybe a couple more black neons to keep everyone in the tank happy.)

I do want another betta, but I don't know what to get for bottom/algy feeders. I only have a 30 litre tank (6.5 gallon). I am concerned about overloading the tank but I want a touch more variety than just the tetras and betta.

Each time I went to the pet store they recommended the wrong fish. First they gave me bristlenose catfish which they told me wouldn't grow too large and then they recommended the bronze corys which "didn't need to be in schools" (incorrect, based on what the internet tells me) and were the right size.

I'm looking for a common, easy-to-care-for fish that will happily live out its life in my small tank and are compatible with betta fish. Does anyone have any recommendations or input they can give?

I would probably recommend you get a larger tank. Most people recommend a 6 gallon to house 1 single betta. If you got a 10 gallon (which you could probably throw together for about 40 bucks) You could get some more tetras (including more black neon since they need to be in schools of 6+) you could also get some more cory catfish. Perhaps Kuhli loaches would be a good option for you? 

On 6/15/2021 at 2:47 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

I would probably recommend you get a larger tank. Most people recommend a 6 gallon to house 1 single betta. If you got a 10 gallon (which you could probably throw together for about 40 bucks) You could get some more tetras (including more black neon since they need to be in schools of 6+) you could also get some more cory catfish. Perhaps Kuhli loaches would be a good option for you? 

Thanks but unfortunately a larger tank isn't really an option in my case. We don't have the space for it.

As a follow up, I read about your problems. So sorry for your losses it happens to the best of us. What are your parameters? I didn't have time to read all of the threads but something could definitely be up there. Also what is your water hardness? and is your lfs a reputable one? 

• Like 1

Your best bet would probably be to add another betta 2 more black neon tetras, and maybe 1 or 2 kuhli loaches. I'm not sure how new you are to the hobby. But I have a Rainbow goby, its a pretty cool bottom feeder I wouldn't recommend it to anyone though. As far as bioload goes just be sure to get compatable highly social fish and to not go crazy on stocking. when I was younger I had a 5 gallon with 3 platies, 1 bristlenose pleco, 6 green neon tetras, 4 pygmy corys, 1 honey gourami, and 5 cherry barbs for awhile. it eventually all ended badly when the ph crashed and the nitrates and amonia went up, but with your stocking nplan you should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:50 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

As a follow up, I read about your problems. So sorry for your losses it happens to the best of us. What are your parameters? I didn't have time to read all of the threads but something could definitely be up there. Also what is your water hardness? and is your lfs a reputable one? 

I got a ph test kit (currently ph is about 7.5) as it was recommended to me by the store owner and unfortunately we don't have the budget to get the more expensive one. One of the pet stores out of town does water testing for free so I'm planning to find out the exact parameters once I get the chance.

Yeah, I started off not properly cycling the tank, which is probably why most of the fish died. Slowly picking up/learning from my mistakes with the help of a couple of people in the other thread. I won't be buying any more fish until the tank actually stabilizes but wanted to do some research/get some input while waiting.

I have a mom-and-pop style fish store locally, and some bigger brand stores out of town. The mom-and-pop store has been very helpful and great in their service but their advice is a bit questionable.

Edited by HonourWest
adding lfs info

@HonourWest honestly, knowing your situation and you being newer- if I were in your shoes I wouldn't pick anything that's going to breed in your tank. That can come later. You've said this is pretty much it for the size/space/time you have for a tank. If you get live breeders in that small of a tank you'll have an explosion of babies in a small tank and have parameter issues all over again (easy in a small tank). The exception to that is say if you got all male guppies. HOWEVER, in my experience my black neons are/can be fin nippers. So I wonder about your Betta having been stressed by them. 

I'd load up my tetras once the tank settles(just a few more). For algae eater I'd get a nerite MAYBE 2. They eat a wider variety of algae than most. Then I'd probably try a Betta- I'd look at a plakat (short finned) male or a female (which tend to be more peaceful). 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

@HonourWest, I love your signature! I’m a huge koi fan and an lifelong Austen fan too. 
My wife has a 6.8 gal on her desk. She has a Betta, two Otocinclus catfish and two mystery snails. It’s also fairly heavily planted in the jungle style. It’s amazing how well balanced and stable it is with those stocking levels. She tolerates a certain amount of algae as long as it’s not harming the plants and she doesn’t really add any chemicals with the exception of some API leaf zone occasionally. 

• Thanks 1