Chili Rasbora and Sparkling Gourami

GLJ

Hi everyone! I’m recently new into the aquarium hobby…about a 2 years or so now. I have recently purchased another 5 gallon aquarium which I’m aware is on the smaller side but I am a college student still living with my parents so I have limited space to work with. I have another 5 gallon with a single betta but I bought another 5 gallon with the intention of putting different fish that I’m really interested in. I’ve had my eye on getting chili rasboras for the loooongest time and I finally feel ready to get them. However, as much research as I’ve done (almost 11 months now) I am still unsure of the appropriate amount to put into a 5 gallon. Also, a sparking gourami is high on my list of fish to get (only 1 or 2 as a species only tank). But, I have seen few put these two together and it went perfect in a 5 gallon. I’ve seen mixed things as to whether or not these two should be put together and if they can be housed in a 5 gallon aquarium properly. I have NOT purchased any fish yet and will not do so until my parameters are correct and I am well informed of the subject. I am open to any critiques and opinions…thank you!!

- I feel as if I should also mention that this tank will be heavily planted to accommodate to both individually or together 🙂

If the tank is heavily planted, the two species of fish should be able to live together very well. Sparkling Gourami's aren't the most territorial or aggressive fish and chili rasboras are usually fast enough to get away if there ever is any aggression. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the advice!! And if I were to put these 2 species together, any suggestions on how many CR’s to put with the gourami?

If it's only one 5 gallon, I would do 1 sparkling gourami and maybe 4-8 chili rasboras.