Light suggestions for 20gal long

Slick_Nick

Hi everyone I’m looking to set up a 20 gallon long with low to medium light plants no co2. I already have 3 other aquariums a Fluval Flex 15 gallon, Fluval Spec V 5 gallon and another 5 gallon with a fluval aquasky on it. I’m looking for a good 30 inch light I noticed aquarium co op has the finnex stingray but I read in the comments that it doesn’t attach well to the rim of the aquarium does anyone have actual experience with this? Also any other decent light suggestions I could look into would be greatly appreciated! 

I have 9 of the stingrays and have never had a problem with them even after a few accidental soakings.  I did put a fluval 3 on my new 40 breeder and I love the ability to ramp up and down but the stingrays work just fine.  I put 2 per tank on my 20 longs.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, starsman20 said:

I have 9 of the stingrays and have never had a problem with them even after a few accidental soakings.  I did put a fluval 3 on my new 40 breeder and I love the ability to ramp up and down but the stingrays work just fine.  I put 2 per tank on my 20 longs.

Thank you starsman20 so you’re saying 1 light won’t cover the 13” width spread of the tank I would actually need two lights on a 20 long?

I cannot speak to longevity on this tank profile, but I have been using Stingray Planted+ HCL on several tanks and just recently on two 20 gallon longs. I like the ability to control intensity on each of the RGBW LEDs and have them change on 3 hour intervals you can program. I know the duration and intensity takes some dialing in. I grew all kinds of algae and now generally keep them at far lower intensity for no more than 9 to 12 hours.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Goatee said:

I cannot speak to longevity on this tank profile, but I have been using Stingray Planted+ HCL on several tanks and just recently on two 20 gallon longs. I like the ability to control intensity on each of the RGBW LEDs and have them change on 3 hour intervals you can program. I know the duration and intensity takes some dialing in. I grew all kinds of algae and now generally keep them at far lower intensity for no more than 9 to 12 hours.

Very cool The Goatee!! I like that you can adjust the intensity especially with it being a shallow tank! My fluval aquasky on my 5 gallon is only running at 40% but there’s basically no algae credit to being able to adjust the intensity! Thanks for giving me another great option to look into

29 minutes ago, Slick_Nick said:

Thank you starsman20 so you’re saying 1 light won’t cover the 13” width spread of the tank I would actually need two lights on a 20 long?

Im sure one is fine. I don't turn both of them on all the time. The center part of the lid creates a shadow as well.  Photos shows the reflection but you should get the idea.  

16230072400726725358742107587818.jpg

• Love 1

57 minutes ago, starsman20 said:

Im sure one is fine. I don't turn both of them on all the time. The center part of the lid creates a shadow as well.  Photos shows the reflection but you should get the idea.  

16230072400726725358742107587818.jpg

The lights look very nice! Thanks for your help!  🙂

I've got one 30" stingray on my 20L and it puts out more than enough light, almost too much for such a shallow tank. If you have the glass lid making a dark stripe blocking light you can head to Amazon and there is one company that produces a lid with a clear plastic hinge instead of the dark brown one. The clear hinge works great on my tank and doesn't block light

• Thanks 1

10/10 for the finnex stingray on the 20 long. I’ve had one for 3 years now and have had no issues, even after several accidental partial dunkings. As far as the rim on the tank, if it’s a rimmed tank you’ll be absolutely fine, it should be able to rest on top of the rim. Rimless I’m not so sure how it would do, but I think it would still be fine. I’ve been able to easily grow low, medium, and even some high light plants over the years with no issue from the light. I definitely wouldn’t go any stronger especially if you’re only looking to do low light plants anyways. For the price point I don’t think you’ll find a better light out there for the 20long. 

2 hours ago, David Ellsworth said:

I've got one 30" stingray on my 20L and it puts out more than enough light, almost too much for such a shallow tank. If you have the glass lid making a dark stripe blocking light you can head to Amazon and there is one company that produces a lid with a clear plastic hinge instead of the dark brown one. The clear hinge works great on my tank and doesn't block light. 

Thanks David Ellsworth do you happen to know the company name that makes the lid you’re talking about? I definitely want a lid but hate when it blocks out the light and makes shadows.

9 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

10/10 for the finnex stingray on the 20 long. I’ve had one for 3 years now and have had no issues, even after several accidental partial dunkings. As far as the rim on the tank, if it’s a rimmed tank you’ll be absolutely fine, it should be able to rest on top of the rim. Rimless I’m not so sure how it would do, but I think it would still be fine. I’ve been able to easily grow low, medium, and even some high light plants over the years with no issue from the light. I definitely wouldn’t go any stronger especially if you’re only looking to do low light plants anyways. For the price point I don’t think you’ll find a better light out there for the 20long. 

It’ll definitely be a rimmed tank! Glad to hear you’ve had great success with it Steph! Looks like this is the route I’m going to go!

• Like 1