Weird fish at creek

Taco Playz

The top one appears to be a type of minnow, the bottom appears to be a goby fry of some sort? Difficult to tell when they’re that small. Honestly if you don’t have a collection permit and you don’t know what species you’re looking at, you really should not be taking native fish from their habitat. Collection of any kind without a permit usually illegal and you could unknowingly do harm to a threatened population. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nirvanaquatics said:

The top one appears to be a type of minnow, the bottom appears to be a goby fry of some sort? Difficult to tell when they’re that small. Honestly if you don’t have a collection permit and you don’t know what species you’re looking at, you really should not be taking native fish from their habitat. Collection of any kind without a permit usually illegal and you could unknowingly do harm to a threatened population. 

Ok I wasn’t planning on keeping them. I just wanted to know what they are thanks.

Really good advice from @Nirvanaquatics on investigating collection permits.  If you watch some of the "guys with nets in Florida canals" videos on Youtube,  you'll see that they pick up a bunch of non native species- many of which likely originated from the aquarium hobby.  And then there's the pythons and zebra mussels.  Many state's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) have adopted a zero tolerance / hefty fine strategy on any activities that move species out of their natural range and/or into non native habitats, so beware and educate yourself as best you can.

I'd extend @Nirvanaquatics guidance to researching eBay/Etsy etc. listings as well.  I've caught a bunch of recent listings (e.g. Sphixi Snails) where sellers have listed plants and animals that have active DNR and Department of Agriculture restrictions on their sale and/or transport across state lines.  Ignorance of retrictions isn't a defense in avoiding fines.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NanoNano said:

Really good advice from @Nirvanaquatics on investigating collection permits.  If you watch some of the "guys with nets in Florida canals" videos on Youtube,  you'll see that they pick up a bunch of non native species- many of which likely originated from the aquarium hobby.  And then there's the pythons and zebra mussels.  Many state's DNR (Department of Natural Resources) have adopted a zero tolerance / hefty fine strategy on any activities that move species out of their natural range and/or into non native habitats, so beware and educate yourself as best you can.

I'd extend @Nirvanaquatics guidance to researching eBay/Etsy etc. listings as well.  I've caught a bunch of recent listings (e.g. Sphixi Snails) where sellers have listed plants and animals that have active DNR and Department of Agriculture restrictions on their sale and/or transport across state lines.  Ignorance of retrictions isn't a defense in avoiding fines.

I never knew that was against the law but thanks do you know where you can get collection permits at.

4 minutes ago, Taco Playz said:

I never knew that was against the law but thanks do you know where you can get collection permits at.

Ask your local fish and wildlife department. They can point you in the right direction for obtaining permits and identifying native and non-native species. 

I would research your state's DNR online site(s) and wouldn't be hesitant to call/email them for guidance.  

My general gut tells me that there's some animosity towards exotic fish/reptile hobbyists in many DNRs and courts due to irresponsible actions in the past (again...pythons and zebra mussels),  so showing that you're a current hobbiest that's trying to be responsible and follow the DNR rules to NOT make further mistakes should be met with support.

15 minutes ago, Taco Playz said:

Would I need a permit for Mosquito fish. They are super common in my pond. There’s probably millions of them.

I’ve seen people keep mosquito fish in aquariums before. I don’t want to keep them at all but I wondered because people at my pond nearby have taken them home before.