Gas release

Rudles

I finished my planting this morning and as I was planting a fair amount of gas was released. What kind of gas was this and is it good that it was released? Does this gas promote anoxic filtration? 

I have about an inch and a half of organic planting soil topped with about a half inch of Eco-Complete then two inches of play sand capped with two inches of fine gravel and Flourite Red mix.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rudles said:

I finished my planting this morning and as I was planting a fair amount of gas was released. What kind of gas was this and is it good that it was released? Does this gas promote anoxic filtration? 

I have about an inch and a half of organic planting soil topped with about a half inch of Eco-Complete then two inches of play sand capped with two inches of fine gravel and Flourite Red mix.

I think it’s sometimes the release from anaerobic bacteria? Might be stinky. Happens all day long in swamps.

• Thanks 1

I get this in a couple of my organic soil tanks where I used too much sand or depth in my cap. Now I just use a thin cap of small gravel. For those established tanks, I will periodically use wooden skewers to pierce the substrate to release gasses.

I've found it common that those micro bubbles you see all over your glass and substrate when you first fill a tank form under the substrate as well and as your substrate settles those bubbles collect into larger pockets until they're disturbed and...burrrrrp!  

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with hydrogen sulfide from (Edit) anaerobic bacteria as I used to live off a bay where sea lettuce would collect, die, sink, and rot in the summer.  It takes a very small amount of sulfide gas to make a very big stink- if you're seeing bubbles break the surface but not getting an immedaitely detectable "ugh!" odor,  you're probably not dealing with it.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NanoNano said:

I've found it common that those micro bubbles you see all over your glass and substrate when you first fill a tank form under the substrate as well and as your substrate settles those bubbles collect into larger pockets until they're disturbed and...burrrrrp!  

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with hydrogen sulfide from aerobic bacteria as I used to live off a bay where sea lettuce would collect, die, sink, and rot in the summer.  It takes a very small amount of sulfide gas to make a very big stink- if you're seeing bubbles break the surface but not getting an immedaitely detectable "ugh!" odor,  you're probably not dealing with it.

These bubbles were released during planting, caused by my planting tweezers. There were a few popping up in nearby areas but there was definitely no odor.