Co2?

I'm sure you guys and gals are sick of me.... BUT we all start somewhere 🙂

I'm wanting to startt dabbling in Co2.  I was originally going to buy the Fluval kit, but I read a lot of reviews where people were not happy with it, so I found this 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083NH7BKQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyone have experience with it?  It'll be here Sunday for me... any helpful tips?  

Thank you

My advice is don't get a cheap alternative, go ahead and spend the extra few dollars for a reliable setup. 

CO2Art has a nice all in one kit. Or spend a few more dollars and get one from Green Leaf Aquariums.

Fzone sells a regulator that's very affordable, but I have no personal experience with it but many people give it high reviews.

Edited by Mmiller2001

9 minutes ago, Mmiller2001 said:

My advice is don't get a cheap alternative, go ahead and spend the extra few dollars for a reliable setup. 

CO2Art has a nice all in one kit. Or spend a few more dollars and get one from Green Leaf Aquariums.

Fzone sells a regulator that's very affordable, but I have no personal experience with it but many people give it high reviews.

My experience with CO2Art's post purchase support has been extremely poor. Considering the premium charged for their product, I would look elsewhere. I think Cory threw out a recommendation for generally any mid range ($50 iirc) two stage regulator during a live stream, wish I had followed that advice.

Edited by Schwack

1 minute ago, Schwack said:

My experience with CO2Art's post purchase support has been extremely poor. Considering the premium charged for their product, I would look elsewhere. I think Cory threw out a recommendation for generally and mid range two stage regulator during a live stream, wish I had followed that advice.

I have 2 of them, one is real solid, the other is pretty finicky. My customer service experience with them was okay. Going forward, I will be going for GLA's regulator. 

2 hours ago, CosmicAshhole said:

Anyone have experience with it?  It'll be here Sunday for me... any helpful tips?  

With FZone's version of it, yes. They work just fine. After freshly mixing reagents you should be able to supply a smaller tank for 2-3 months. The trick is getting a reliable solenoid to turn it on and off for you on a timer. Cheap solenoids run hot.

• Love 1

I'm not (completely) concerned with cost... I'm of the mind set of "buy nice or buy it twice" which gets me into trouble...But I'd rather not mess with something that is going to give out on me in a few months or something that just isn't worth the price or headache.  I'll check out GLA to see what their stuff is about.

2 hours ago, sudofish said:

They main takeaway is you need to be QUICK screwing the top thingie on after filling it.

I use ice cubes instead of liquid water when refilling. The reaction doesn't really start until the ice melts so there's plenty of time to screw on the top without rushing.

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to the cost of a tank setup is the cost of the tank itself. My 5 pound tank ran ~$100 + $28 for canister exchanges every 9-12 months. I briefly looked into trying a CO2 generator, but consistency seemed a bit more difficult to dial in over a tank-based system.

4 hours ago, Mmiller2001 said:

I’d go this route. I’ve had a pressurized system for about a year now. Once you make the initial investment and setup you don’t really need to fuss much with it. Pressurized systems will be more reliable and stable.

I started with the Fzone regulator. It was the best reviewed regulator at the price point. The main difference between the Fzone and the higher end options is that the Fzone units are a single stage regulator-meaning there is no working pressure adjustment.

The whole system, tank and all will end up costing about twice as much as the fluval setup before you get your tank filled.

An important thing to sort out is whether your local co2 suppliers swap tanks or fill tanks. I come across many stories of people buying shiny new tanks online only to have them swapped for something that’s been used and abused. If your suppliers swap tanks, you might as well find something used and save a buck.

The diy/low pressure mix setups never quite get the results your looking for. I ran one in high school, and it was a lot of work to keep the bubbles going, not to mention it would smell like fermenting yeast when ever you needed to open it.

• Like 1

But who doesn't want their fish rooms to smell like fermenting yeast?  

Ok, I will be returning the kit I bought on Amazon and purchasing the one from GLA... I'll also call around to my local Co2 places to see if they swap or refill.

Thank you! 

36 minutes ago, CosmicAshhole said:

But who doesn't want their fish rooms to smell like fermenting yeast?  

Ok, I will be returning the kit I bought on Amazon and purchasing the one from GLA... I'll also call around to my local Co2 places to see if they swap or refill.

Thank you! 

You are making the right choice.

I recommend going for quality.  I bought a Milwaukee regulator at my LFS and it lasted alittle over a year, gased my fish once and was not steady.  The knobs were like toys compared to the Co2 art regulator that I replaced it with.  

• Like 1