Planning and Designing a Fancy Goldfish Tank

laritheloud

I am absolutely dreaming of starting a 75 or 90 gallon goldfish tank for our next aquarium project, and luckily, my husband is completely on board.  I'm thinking 3 or 4 fancy goldfish, pool filter sand bottom (or bare?), and an Attempt at some tough, sturdy plants. I'd love some adorable orandas and ranchus for my tank (I am not interested in telescoping eyes or bubble eye goldfish), and I'm debating whether to add hillstream or dojo loaches for the bottom. I'll probably throw in mystery and nerite snails, maybe some bamboo shrimp (fully grown ideally), but the goldfish will be the main focus.

Who has experience with fancy goldfish? What works for you, and what plants/hardscape/substrate should I consider with these cute guys? Some enthusiasts advocate a species-only goldfish tank, some say you can add a few other tankmates in with them. Most sources say to research a goldfish breeder, but I think I'd definitely have to order online because I can't find many within reasonable driving distance.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, laritheloud said:

I am absolutely dreaming of starting a 75 or 90 gallon goldfish tank for our next aquarium project, and luckily, my husband is completely on board.  I'm thinking 3 or 4 fancy goldfish, pool filter sand bottom (or bare?), and an Attempt at some tough, sturdy plants. I'd love some adorable orandas and ranchus for my tank (I am not interested in telescoping eyes or bubble eye goldfish), and I'm debating whether to add hillstream or dojo loaches for the bottom. I'll probably throw in mystery and nerite snails, maybe some bamboo shrimp (fully grown ideally), but the goldfish will be the main focus.

Who has experience with fancy goldfish? What works for you, and what plants/hardscape/substrate should I consider with these cute guys? Some enthusiasts advocate a species-only goldfish tank, some say you can add a few other tankmates in with them. Most sources say to research a goldfish breeder, but I think I'd definitely have to order online because I can't find many within reasonable driving distance.

I think that if you do this right, it will easily be your favorite tank. We shoehorned in some young fancy goldfish into a tank too small for them for a while. Eventually, we had to move them along. But they were always fun to watch. We found that water lettuce make them act funny, and that they'd leave enough wisteria alone that it could produce a bushy backdrop. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.34.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.33.21 AM.png

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Just now, Fish Folk said:

I think that if you do this right, it will easily be your favorite tank. We shoehorned in some young fancy goldfish into a tank too small for them for a while. Eventually, we had to move them along. But they were always fin to watch. We found that water lettuce make them act funny, and that they'd leave enough wisteria alone that it could produce a bushy backdrop. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.34.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.33.21 AM.png

Look at them!!! I love this! And I have no doubt it'll be my favorite tank. My husband had to work on me to convince me to want goldfish for our next tank, and I have to admit, I'm pretty sure he's spot-on. I got into this hobby to occupy myself and help out my lifelong anxiety troubles, and sometimes I take a hit more often than I relax. Goldfish have the exact temperament and goofiness I want in a peaceful, pretty tank, and I figure a bigger tank and conservative goldfish stocking for the size will ensure ease of care and let me enjoy them.

I have water lettuce in one of my tanks right now and it's exploding. I was hoping to get some red root floaters or something else floating for them to nibble on and 'control' the growth up top. I'll add water wisteria to my planning list, too. Maybe I'll try some bigger Bolbitis! I have a mini one that's settled nicely in my tank, and I like the look of it better than my Java Fern (which is finally starting to look good after 3 months in the tank). Smooth rocks are on my hardscape list, and I'm not sure if driftwood is worth the risk.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, laritheloud said:

Look at them!!! I love this! And I have no doubt it'll be my favorite tank. My husband had to work on me to convince me to want goldfish for our next tank, and I have to admit, I'm pretty sure he's spot-on. I got into this hobby to occupy myself and help out my lifelong anxiety troubles, and sometimes I take a hit more often than I relax. Goldfish have the exact temperament and goofiness I want in a peaceful, pretty tank, and I figure a bigger tank and conservative goldfish stocking for the size will ensure ease of care and let me enjoy them.

I have water lettuce in one of my tanks right now and it's exploding. I was hoping to get some red root floaters or something else floating for them to nibble on and 'control' the growth up top. I'll add water wisteria to my planning list, too. Maybe I'll try some bigger Bolbitis! I have a mini one that's settled nicely in my tank, and I like the look of it better than my Java Fern (which is finally starting to look good after 3 months in the tank). Smooth rocks are on my hardscape list, and I'm not sure if driftwood is worth the risk.

We recently ordered a bunch of large Mexican Beach pebbles. Awesome rocks for scaping! Used a few in recent set ups . . . 

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.57.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 10.56.27 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I know that everyone’s experience is different but I run my 100g patio goldfish pond with just a small box filter. I’m able to get by with minimal water changes and rarely see Nitrates above 40ppm. I think 3-4 fish in a 75 with plants and reasonable filtration will be fairly low maintenance. Start propagating that Wisteria now! 😀

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

I know that everyone’s experience is different but I run my 100g patio goldfish pond with just a small box filter. I’m able to get by with minimal water changes and rarely see Nitrates above 40ppm. I think 3-4 fish in a 75 with plants and reasonable filtration will be fairly low maintenance. Start propagating that Wisteria now! 😀

That's what I'm hoping for. It'll be a test of restraint for me, both with plants and with stocking! 😂 I could stand to work some minimalism after completely just shoving all kinds of plants in my 29g!

I'm putting together a list now and I'm going to wait for a good sale on the larger tanks to start assembling everything! This isn't something I want to rush.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

I wish I had the photos to post but I do not on this computer, I have many fancy goldfish set ups, its pretty much all I like. 

What you are looking to do is absolutely achievable. 

For plants: 
I highly recommend Elodea if it is legal in your state, goldfish can munch on it and it grows quickly and is a good water filter, plus they will lay eggs on it (helps if you want to breed any, if you don't it at least helps get the eggs out to prevent egg bound females)

Java ferns and Anubias are very durable and the goldfish will not eat them, so they are great for your middle and front of the tank plants, elodea should only be in the back. 

Tankmates:
Goldfish can have a few tank mates, Hillstream loaches, Dojo Loaches(NEED A LID) bamboo shrimp all are great tank mates, I would recommend waiting to get the bamboo shrimp and Hillstream loaches until your tank has been established for at least 6 months otherwise they likely will not do well. 

Snails are a favorite tank mate of mine as well, goldfish eat the baby pest snails so adding all of them are great options because they will never overtake the tank, Japanese trap door and mystery snails are other great tank mates for goldfish. 

Online vendors:
I have only ordered goldfish from 3 online vendors. Since you are looking for ranchu/oranda I highly recommend King Koi Goldfish, I have personally ordered two Ranchu from there, they were exactly as photoed and very healthy, shipped fantastic. Plus they have great customer services so if you did have a problem you can fall back on that but luckily I had no issues at all. Very cute and chunky. They sell them by the individual so you can see which one you are ordering before you place the order. 

Decorations:

River rock is a good one, anything smooth, I have had some females get very injured by spawning on rocks with even the slightest edge, smoothed river rock is great. I would avoid driftwood or sharp rocks. 

Substrate:
Sand sand sand sand! I highly recommend sand for every goldfish take, It enables them to forage and display natural behavior, watching them spit a mouthful of sand looking for food is great entertainment, plus they keep it very clean by constantly churning it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I wish I had the photos to post but I do not on this computer, I have many fancy goldfish set ups, its pretty much all I like. 

For plants: 
I highly recommend Elodea if it is legal in your state, goldfish can munch on it and it grows quickly and is a good water filter, plus they will lay eggs on it (helps if you want to breed any, if you don't it at least helps get the eggs out to prevent egg bound females)

Java ferns and Anubias are very durable and the goldfish will not eat them, so they are great for your middle and front of the tank plants, elodea should only be in the back. 

Tankmates:
Goldfish can have a few tank mates, Hillstream loaches, Dojo Loaches(NEED A LID) bamboo shrimp all are great tank mates, I would recommend waiting to get the bamboo shrimp and Hillstream loaches until your tank has been established for at least 6 months otherwise they likely will not do well. 

Snails are a favorite tank mate of mine as well, goldfish eat the baby pest snails so adding all of them are great options because they will never overtake the tank, Japanese trap door and mystery snails are other great tank mates for goldfish. 

Online vendors:
I have only ordered goldfish from 3 online vendors. Since you are looking for ranchu/oranda I highly recommend King Koi Goldfish, I have personally ordered two Ranchu from there, they were exactly as photoed and very healthy, shipped fantastic. Plus they have great customer services so if you did have a problem you can fall back on that but luckily I had no issues at all. Very cute and chunky. They sell them by the individual so you can see which one you are ordering before you place the order. 

Decorations:

River rock is a good one, anything smooth, I have had some females get very injured by spawning on rocks with even the slightest edge, smoothed river rock is great. I would avoid driftwood or sharp rocks. 

Substrate:
Sand sand sand sand! I highly recommend sand for every goldfish take, It enables them to forage and display natural behavior, watching them spit a mouthful of sand looking for food is great entertainment, plus they keep it very clean by constantly churning it. 

"GardenStateGoldfish" -- Are you in NJ, too? This is tremendously helpful. I've been looking at all the fancy goldfish sites from Dandy Orandas, to Coast Gem, to Zhao's Fancies, King Koi and Goldfish, Goldfish Island, East Coast Ranchus. Glad to hear you have a good experience with King Koi! Their fish are absolutely beautiful. I'll keep them at the top of the list.

I already have Anacharis/Elodea growing in my quarantine tank as a floating plant! It's so sturdy and I'd be happy to transplant some of it into my goldfish scape. I can put the elodea along the back, get some bolbitis/anubias/java ferns for midground. I don't think I need or want a carpeting plant for my goldfish.

Thank you so much for your input. I'll be taking my time building this tank, but already I'm so excited to just start getting everything together and having it ready to go. 

1 hour ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

For plants: 

Tankmates:

Online vendors:

Decorations:

Substrate:

Also, do you have a favorite sand you like to use with planted goldfish tanks? I don't mind a splurge if it's safe and looks great with the fish.

6 minutes ago, laritheloud said:

Anacharis/Elodea growing in my quarantine tank as a floating plant! It's so sturdy and I'd be happy to transplant some of it into my goldfish scape

They will love it! Sometimes the goldfish can eat parts of it, but I find it grows way to fast for them to eat it and I don't think they like it very much, they seem to only peck at it if I was to be fasting them or something. 

And yes I am in New Jersey, I have heard great things about East Coast Ranchus and Zhoas fancies, I just haven't personally ordered from them yet, although I plan to make an order from East Coast Ranchu to support my fellow NJ breeder! 

I have also had success with aponogetons which are stunningly beautiful in my opinion, not sure I can label them goldfish safe however my fancies do not eat them and I have them 3 three tanks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, laritheloud said:

Also, do you have a favorite sand you like to use with planted goldfish tanks? I don't mind a splurge if it's safe and looks great with the fish.

I probably shouldn't admit this online, but I got my sand from my favorite beach I grew up going to.... which I loved because watching the light and fish interact with it reminds me of the shore. 

I only purchased one different type of sand one time for my 29g it was a black imaginarium sand and its pretty good, I prefer the natural sand because of the grain size and the way it sinks, its hard to express in words. The Imaginarium sand is larger but sinks really quickly, but at the same time feels lighter, it also pushes things to the surface of the more but plants do really really well in it so I would still get it again. Id say any sand you like should be good as long as it is inert 

• Love 1

Since you mentioned waiting for a good sale on tanks, I’ll mention that the Half off tank sale is going on now at one of the big box stores, I don’t know what the timeframe is. They also sell imagitarium sand, hint hint 😉. I have that brand of sand in my betta tank with elodea and it’s doing great.

• Thanks 1