Mistake while cleaning my filter

Karen B.

Greetings!

I made a stupid mistake.

I did a 35% wc on my 20 gal.(populations 1 honey gourami, 12 green neon tetra, 10 chili rasboras, 7 false julii corydoras and 4 nerita snails)

Parameters are temps 74-76, pH 7.6, 0/0/20, kh 4 and gh 9.

During the wc, I always squeeze my pre-filter sponge.

I filled the aquarium back up but tought the water didn’t look as clean/clear as usual so I figured ou I would squeeze the media inside the filter as well (I am not too afraid to crash my cycle as I also run an aquarium coop medium sponge filter in the aquarium)

Problem is, I forgot to turn off the filter (and take it out of the aquarium altogether...) So when I removed the bottom sponge, a huuuuuge amount of mulm and yuck invaded the aquarium. Water became brown. I could barely see my fish.

I quickly did a 20% wc while cleaning the filter to have it back running asap. I syphoned the substrate twice as the mulm was setting down. My corydoras are having a ball, can’t say the same for the rasboras.

Will my fish make it? Anything else I should do? Should I syphon/wc again tomorrow?

6A9CBB3B-72F9-43AA-AB0B-2E046F3EEFFD.jpeg

83F7F02B-348B-485C-AFE2-C99A479C6306.jpeg

I agree with @Ken, I would leave it and let it settle on its own. The mulm was always in the aquarium, it just became dislodged from your sponge, that is all. It will become lodged into your sponge once again. 

Your aquarium is looking great by the way! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Isaac M said:

I agree with @Ken, I would leave it and let it settle on its own. The mulm was always in the aquarium, it just became dislodged from your sponge, that is all. It will become lodged into your sponge once again. 

Your aquarium is looking great by the way! 

Thank you so much for the compliment. 

• Like 1