"quarantine" Tank "Journal"

stumpfinder

The short of it is that I have never had an aquarium or kept fish. I started working from home and thought it would be cool to have a tank next to my desk for lookin' at during zoom calls. I have had this going since June 2020. 

Earliest picture I could find:

spacer.png

Tank as it sits now:

spacer.png

I have some questions for you guys with more experience. I put snails in my tank (dumb idea) and they are exploding in population. Pretty much taking over the place. Based on the snail-plosion, I have deduced that i have been over feeding the tank. How should go about reducing snail population while not starving out my other bottom dwellers? I have shrimp, hillstreams, and kuhli loaches in the tank that compete with snails for food. What are some ways I can determine how much i should be feeding?

spacer.png

The plants I got from aquarium co-op have been a lot of fun to tinker with. Plant stuff is as interesting as the fish stuff now. 

During my initial research I found Cory and Aquarium Co-op on youtube. I really respect his hustle and attitude as a business owner and for his fish/plant keeping knowledge. They earned my business. 

shrimp finally have a second generation!

spacer.png

Thanks for checking out my 29gallon adventure! looking forward to checking all the stuff out on this forum!

SF

1 hour ago, stumpfinder said:

Thanks for checking out my 29gallon adventure! looking forward to checking all the stuff out on this forum!

SF

Hi @stumpfinder, your tank looks awesome! I have a couple solutions for your snails. I'd suggest you try more than one thing at a time, a 2-pronged approach seems to work better. I'd try Assassin snails and Pygmy Chain Loaches. Between the 2 of them, my 55-gallon is free of ram's horns snails and only has a very few pond snails. Neither of them seem to bother my Nerite snails.

Hope this helps,

Alesha (akconklin)