The mystery of the disappearing duckweed...

Brandy

I have a love/hate relationship witth duckweed...I want it in some tanks but it gets everywhere, and is sometimes fairly impossible to eradicate without resorting to a near scorched earth policy. I envied Cory his goldfish solution, but my tanks are too small. 

A few months ago I bought 3 mystery snails. I had heard they were not as great at eating algae, and I have tons of other kinds of snails, so I thought why bother paying for them? But then I saw @Kirsten's magenta snails, and I needed them. 

They were small when I got them, but they grew really fast. I was worried my tank didn't have enough algae, as it has nerites, pest snails, and otocinclus. But boy, did they grow...

And then I realized suddenly my duckweed kept disappearing...weird. I thought it couldn't be...I put a cup full of duckweed in from another tank in order to get this pic. The snails made a beeline to the surface as soon as the duckweed hit the water. Who knew?!

original_cdde3397-bfb9-40ec-8ff8-7a090d7edfbf_PXL_20210521_170900054.jpg.11af7778051dac9e4c91498aa13c6c8e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Brandy said:

I have a love/hate relationship witth duckweed...I want it in some tanks but it gets everywhere, and is sometimes fairly impossible to eradicate without resorting to a near scorched earth policy. I envied Cory his goldfish solution, but my tanks are too small. 

A few months ago I bought 3 mystery snails. I had heard they were not as great at eating algae, and I have tons of other kinds of snails, so I thought why bother paying for them? But then I saw @Kirsten's magenta snails, and I needed them. 

They were small when I got them, but they grew really fast. I was worried my tank didn't have enough algae, as it has nerites, pest snails, and otocinclus. But boy, did they grow...

And then I realized suddenly my duckweed kept disappearing...weird. I thought it couldn't be...I put a cup full of duckweed in from another tank in order to get this pic. The snails made a beeline to the surface as soon as the duckweed hit the water. Who knew?!

original_cdde3397-bfb9-40ec-8ff8-7a090d7edfbf_PXL_20210521_170900054.jpg.11af7778051dac9e4c91498aa13c6c8e.jpg

Oh wow! I didn't know mystery snails ate duckweed either! Time to ring the dinner bell!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2