Potentially moving in 6ish months - would you set up a new tank?

Ben C.

Hello!

As the title says, I want to consolidate my 2 nano tanks and take advantage of the petco sale going on right now for a 29 gallon. My hesitation is I'm probably moving early next year, and I already plan on moving all these fish into a 55 gallon when I move (can't set up the 55 gallon in my apartment). Do you think it's worth the trouble, or should I just bide my time? Thanks!

I’ll be the odd man out and say don’t bother.  Not only will you then have 3 empty tanks to deal with* but by the 29 gallon will only just have really stabilized before you have to tear it down and start all over again.  To me, going through the set up, settle and season time twice would be way too much hassle.  For me and the fish.

*I know most here wouldn’t consider this to be a problem.  However, multi tank syndrome is real and 3 empty tanks may be too much of a temptation and is that really a good idea in a rental?

• Like 1

@Emika_B that was my concern too - these little tanks have largely stabilized and are very low maintenance. I hate the stress of the new stage, but can that be mitigated by seasoned filters/substrate etc? My motivation for upsizing/combining is that they are getting a bit overgrown for their small size, plant wise and shrimp/fish babies and I want more room to let that expand, rather than giving them to the store or just throwing out more plants. As for MTS, I feel that haha. 

I really like the planning, scaping and planting process so I’d probably do it.😀

I’d also consider a 75 instead of a 55 in your new place. It’s the same length, with a slightly bigger footprint but only slightly more expensive. 

• Like 1

I was actually recently in a similar situation! I wanted to upgrade my tank but we are also moving in a 5 months or so. My husband said to wait but then there was a PetCo sale on tanks! I bought it and let it sit empty to wait until we moved. That didn't last long! I went ahead and did the switching around.. swapping around decor, aquascaping, adding old fish, quarantining some new fish, etc.  and I am really glad I did. I haven't moved yet but I am glad I did this now as I spent a great deal of time and some money getting this tank to be exactly what I want. I know when we move, I will have a lot of other things going on that I will need to prioritize (like house projects, organizing, etc.) and I didn't want to put off the new tank for even longer. 

I would have been transferring a tank anyways but I am glad I am transferring a tank that I really love. 

Just my personal experience! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Emika_B said:

I’ll be the odd man out and say don’t bother.  Not only will you then have 3 empty tanks to deal with* but by the 29 gallon will only just have really stabilized before you have to tear it down and start all over again.  To me, going through the set up, settle and season time twice would be way too much hassle.  For me and the fish.

⬆️ What he said.

• Like 1