A story about baby bristlenose plecos

ange

I was purchasing some bristlenose plecos at my LFS and we were greeted by this sight when the employee coaxed a male out of an ornament. I ended up with a few babies in the bag I took home, any advice on raising them? My only established tank right now is a 5.5g with crystal red shrimp and nerite snails. I also have a fully cycled 29g quarantine tank.

This was an almost magical experience for me, I made this stop on the way home from an appointment after getting some good news and it made my day even better.

20200914_151445.jpg

16001165564972796478764307212478.jpg

Thanks for the tip! Luckily I already have Soilent Green that I feed my shrimp. One of the fry is extremely active and the other three mostly hide underneath my bonsai or in a tangle of monte carlo. For the sake of my shrimp I avoid changing more than 10% of the water weekly, how long should I wait before putting them back with dad + one of the other fish from the store? They're currently quarantining in my 29G and there aren't any meds in the water.

best day ever on that purchase! Congrats. I use solient green on my shrimp also. Fairly new to plecos but i would say some sort of driftwood for them to chew on to go with repashy, green beans and zucchini. I have never had bristlenose but have had other pleco species both wood eaters and meat eater species. I believe the wood is necessary for many plecos to have good digestive tract health. 

• Like 1

Luckily there is driftwood in my shrimp tank. Once they get into the show tank it has an extremely long piece of Mopani wood for them to feast on. If that isn't enough I'm totally down to pick up some Morning Wood to feed in combo with the soilent green. I definitely want to try the canned green beans as well, it seems a lot of people recommend them. I also have Hikari algae wafers that I feed my MTS jar.

I've always kept oto/cory cats and never plecos so this is a first for me and I'm really hoping that I can raise some of these babies up. The store gave me five one died in the bag on the drive home. The four survivors have been munching on biofilm in my shrimp tank and I can almost always see at least one of them eating something so I'm hoping they can move into quarantine with the parents in a few weeks.