Pleco Belly Monday

Just now, Colu said:

You have some really nice l number pleco

thank you!. 

In total I have, 4 pleco's in this 72gal. 

Three in the picture are, L191 Dull-eye Royal, L340 Mega Clown, and the L75. The 4th is an L200 Green Phantom, but unfortunately he swam away when I tried to take the image. Its difficult to get them all in one place stationary for long if there is no Repashy for them to eat. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of  bristlenose at the moment they like to breed like rabbits I use to keep clown pleco sailfin pleco I had a green phantom pleco a long time ago he got about 10in love the green colour 

Screenshot_20210314-235822~2.png

• Like 2
  • Love 4

3 minutes ago, Colu said:

I have a pair of  bristlenose at the moment they like to breed like rabbits I use to keep clown pleco sailfin pleco I had a green phantom pleco a long time ago he got about 10in love the green colour 

Screenshot_20210314-235822~2.png

BEATUIFUL! 

Wow, you must be having a bristlenose explosion! haha. I had a bristlecone for about 10 years growing up in my very first aquarium. It started my fascination with plecos. 

• Like 1

Love this photo thread and hope to snap one soon! Any advice on keeping the L200/green phantom? I just bought one. The store I got him from does not quarantine so I’m trying to run him through the med trio in my 10 gal qt.  And plan to follow up with another dose of paracleanse in a couple weeks.  He does not seem happy there at all.  He’s very skittish. 
he also doesn’t seem to be able to hold himself up on the walls without sliding down...is that normal? 

so far have tried feeding him some repashy on a log and he liked the log but didn’t seem to care for the repashy.  Haven’t tried anything else yet bc was medicating and well, the repashy log seemed to have been too much for the qt cycle as I found .25 ppm nitrite this eve. 

The tank he will go into eventually hopefully will be great for him, has plenty of algae and mulm, flow, driftwood and rocks, and caves are on the way.  I’m just scared I’ll screw out up too bad in the quarantine and he won’t make it there. 

sorry I don’t mean to hijack this thread just have found limited info on YouTube, the Google, or Google scholar.  Most youtubers seem to acquire these but then don’t really talk about keeping them long term.  

3 hours ago, SWilson said:

Love this photo thread and hope to snap one soon! Any advice on keeping the L200/green phantom? I just bought one. The store I got him from does not quarantine so I’m trying to run him through the med trio in my 10 gal qt.  And plan to follow up with another dose of paracleanse in a couple weeks.  He does not seem happy there at all.  He’s very skittish. 
he also doesn’t seem to be able to hold himself up on the walls without sliding down...is that normal? 

so far have tried feeding him some repashy on a log and he liked the log but didn’t seem to care for the repashy.  Haven’t tried anything else yet bc was medicating and well, the repashy log seemed to have been too much for the qt cycle as I found .25 ppm nitrite this eve. 

The tank he will go into eventually hopefully will be great for him, has plenty of algae and mulm, flow, driftwood and rocks, and caves are on the way.  I’m just scared I’ll screw out up too bad in the quarantine and he won’t make it there. 

sorry I don’t mean to hijack this thread just have found limited info on YouTube, the Google, or Google scholar.  Most youtubers seem to acquire these but then don’t really talk about keeping them long term.  

The most important thing is to get them to eat sometimes they will waste away and refuse to eat don't add them to your main tank till there eating well and provide them with plenty of hiding places so they feel secure 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SWilson said:

So, mine took about 4 days before he would start moving around during the day. I would catch him eating on the glass in the evenings. Now he will come around periodically through the day monchin on the rocks and glass. I've not been able to get him to latch on to any repashy yet on either of the three blends i use. Hes not eaten the Extreme wafers, or hikari algae wafers. Nor has he eaten any veggies I've put in. Or atleast I've not caught him eating. Yesterday I started training  him to eat in the same area the rest of my plecos eat. He came out to investigate a few times but ended up just monchin on the glass. I think it just takes time. When they get super hungry they will eat. 

I'm not sure how old mine is, sold for 65$ USD, which I think is normal for a young L200. He's around 3-4 inches already and was very healthy lookin when I saw him at my LFS. He'd also been there for 12 days, which I was dumbfouded about. Normally these exotics don't last longer than a few days at my local store. Most ppl special order them or request for notification on specific fish. 

What kind of repashy are you using? I noticed my L200 was eyeing the Soylent Green more than the Community+ and Morning Wood. 

Thank you both so much @Colu and @Solidus1833, mine is about 4-5 inches, he was $90 at my lfs (realizing now maybe I overpaid but everything is more expensive in CA it seems lol) but I was also dumbfounded that he had been there for 9 days (there were actually 2 green phantoms and a blue phantom as well).  Had never seen anything like that there.  All I can think of is  I live in the Bay Area, CA and summer has already hit with a vengeance, so it was really hot, and only the die hards want to go browse in a muggy fish store when its 90+ outside.  

I am using a mixture of about 75% soilent green and 25% bottom scratcher.  I did catch him on the wood a couple of times, and when I took the wood out last night after I found the nitrite, some of the repashy was missing -- though no way to know if it was him or the snails or it just dissolved into the tank.  He seems particularly fond of one particular rock, so maybe I'll try smearing repashy on that next time I make a batch. 

He seems surprisingly healthy for a wild caught fish, at least as far as his body seemed full, no sunken in belly.  I'm not seeing signs of disease or parasites, I'm just quarantining as a precaution.  The store focused on telling me to feed him extra, and just not rely on him as clean up, they didn't suggest that he would be hard to feed.  They suggested algae wafers, wood, and vegetables.  When I said we have repashy that we've been trying to feed to our bristlenoses, the guy's remark was that was old school and "no one has fed that for a long time."  Which I thought was pretty funny being a part of this forum.  I'll call back and see if they can tell me exactly what they were feeding that tank.     

Though my first priority at the moment is getting a handle on the water quality in there. 

Edited by SWilson

36 minutes ago, SWilson said:

Thank you both so much @Colu and @Solidus1833, mine is about 4-5 inches, he was $90 at my lfs (realizing now maybe I overpaid but everything is more expensive in CA it seems lol) but I was also dumbfounded that he had been there for 9 days (there were actually 2 green phantoms and a blue phantom as well).  Had never seen anything like that there.  All I can think of is  I live in the Bay Area, CA and summer has already hit with a vengeance, so it was really hot, and only the die hards want to go browse in a muggy fish store when its 90+ outside.  

I am using a mixture of about 75% soilent green and 25% bottom scratcher.  I did catch him on the wood a couple of times, and when I took the wood out last night after I found the nitrite, some of the repashy was missing -- though no way to know if it was him or the snails or it just dissolved into the tank.  He seems particularly fond of one particular rock, so maybe I'll try smearing repashy on that next time I make a batch. 

He seems surprisingly healthy for a wild caught fish, at least as far as his body seemed full, no sunken in belly.  I'm not seeing signs of disease or parasites, I'm just quarantining as a precaution.  The store focused on telling me to feed him extra, and just not rely on him as clean up, they didn't suggest that he would be hard to feed.  They suggested algae wafers, wood, and vegetables.  When I said we have repashy that we've been trying to feed to our bristlenoses, the guy's remark was that was old school and "no one has fed that for a long time."  Which I thought was pretty funny being a part of this forum.  I'll call back and see if they can tell me exactly what they were feeding that tank.     

Though my first priority at the moment is getting a handle on the water quality in there. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the price. My royal pleco when he was 2 inches was 65$, but my Mega Clown at 1 inch was 99$. I've seen royals be twice as much from online wholesalers. Its all about species, and what return the seller is looking for from the sale. They may have spent over 100$ just getting the fish shipped not including the fish price. 

I've noticed this L200 actually cleans my tank as my others are lazy haha. Hope your quarantine goes well. I'm lucky enough to have an LFS that does this so I've never had to. Not saying that's a good habit, but so far I've never had a problem in over 20yrs in the hobby.  

• Like 1

Finally got a belly pic of the L200! (Though I had to sneak up on him in the dark). I am not sure he’s eating. I also have been feeding light bc I had some nitrites on Day 3 of quarantine meds). Will try bloodworms and brine shrimp next. 

Bonus belly shots of the baby albino bristlenose and an obese frog 😬 we’ll be addressing that. 

349F37B9-9857-4698-9CFF-FB71F83317E1.jpeg

C953D4F1-66C1-409A-BD8B-0A434BB8BE20.jpeg

21 hours ago, SWilson said:

Finally got a belly pic of the L200! (Though I had to sneak up on him in the dark). I am not sure he’s eating. I also have been feeding light bc I had some nitrites on Day 3 of quarantine meds). Will try bloodworms and brine shrimp next. 

Bonus belly shots of the baby albino bristlenose and an obese frog 😬 we’ll be addressing that. 

349F37B9-9857-4698-9CFF-FB71F83317E1.jpeg

C953D4F1-66C1-409A-BD8B-0A434BB8BE20.jpeg

His belly doesn't look hollow so he must be eating something

• Like 1

21 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

you can see the movement of it's gut as it digests.

Wow! Great video! For anyone using search terms on the internet that’s called “peristalsis.” Now maybe random biology teachers will find this thread and use that video in class. 😁

Edited by Hobbit
I see you named the video peristalsis already! 👍
  • Like 1