Accidental Diamond Tetra Fry!

laritheloud

So today I spotted a free-swimming fish fry in my tank with my son. I'm shocked, because I didn't think my tetras were mature enough to breed. But it's survived long enough to be about half an inch, I'd say? Maybe bigger? It's hiding now!

I have some baby brine shrimp in a hatchery right now, but is there anything else I should do for the little guy? I had no idea it was even in there!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just now, ererer said:

Congrats fish momma! At half an inch, you could also try seeing if it will eat crushed flake food.

I definitely saw him picking some bits off the moss in the tank and eating it, so I think he's getting by all right. I should have some brine shrimp ready to go tomorrow just in case. What a fun surprise! Couldn't come at a better time after I felt like I had a bit of a rough start with a round of antibiotics and a mini-cycle to endure!

• Like 2

Just now, Isaac M said:

Hi @laritheloud, that is so cool! Congrats! Well deserved after the rocky start you persevered through. The fry looks like a decent size already so finely crushed flake food, or something like sera micron or hikari first bites and live baby brine shrimp should do the trick. 

I'll crush up some flakes in the morning and by the afternoon tomorrow I should have a round of baby brine hatched and ready. Thank you for the help! I might go and pick up some fry food from the LFS, too, just in case!

• Like 2

So what I thought was only one fry is actually at least two, as I spotted them side-by-side today. I'm getting nervous because we only have a 29 gallon tank, and I wasn't expecting my tetras to breed so simply and quickly like this. I panic-ordered some plastic fish bags and rubber bands and making sure I can trade in any extras to my LFS....

1 minute ago, Patrick_G said:

What’s your limit before you start taking them in to your LFS? I have seven Cherry Barb fry and I’m happy with that number. I also found 20 guppy fry, that will probably go to the LFS.

I do think 8 is my limit. I'm concerned about overcrowding and I would love to get some honey gourami in the tank, too. I originally wanted a few male endlers, too, but now I'm worried about a population explosion.

EDIT: There are 6 adults right now so if there are only 2 fry for real... that'd be it.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

I’m torn between loving the Colors of the Endlers/Guppies and being a little annoyed at all their nervous energy. 😀

I hear you. I think they're cute and bright, my son would love them. We technically have a 10 gallon quarantine tank. We can always get the honey gouramis first, then add the endlers last and see where we're at as far as stocking during their quarantine period.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they are at it again. I checked on the tank this morning and I found the alpha male and one of the plumper females scattering eggs all over the water sprite.

Maybe I should have a plan about this?? Crazy, I haven't been trying to do anything. I water changed last night which must have triggered it!

Edited by laritheloud