For the Bird-Nerms

Fish Folk

I also see a Bald Eagle nest everyday at work, but unfortunately I see it from my work truck while I'm driving so I can't take pictures while I'm driving down the highway, but I do wonder how many people also notice the nest. Bald Eagles aren't super rare in this area, but they aren't common enough that people wouldn't be excited to know that there are a nesting pair so close to Columbus. I've also spotted an osprey nest in Columbus and another pair of ospreys but I have no clue where their nest is. 

• Like 3

Just now, Fish Folk said:

Look on top of electric utility poles, towers, etc. 

The osprey nest that I spotted is on a random telephone pole near a shallow part of the Scioto River, there are also lots of business parks in that area and that means lots of man made ponds, if I'm early to a pick up for my job sometimes I get to watch them dive bomb for panfish and smallmouth bass. 

• Like 1

Great thread, I’m glad I stumbled on it!

I have seen anything new or rare this year, but there’s still some exciting birds around. We’re pretty sure we’ll have Barred Owl Fledglings again this year. We’re close to Puget Sound so if I’m outside I’ll see Ospreys and Bald Eagles daily, but if I walk 750’ to the shoreline it’s not unusual to see 6-7 Eagles or Osprey at once. 

Right now I’m listening to the birds in our wood calling the alarm. An Owl is definitely close! 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

An Owl is definitely close! 

If you play it’s call through a speaker, it will come close. You could use a JBL clip, or just a laptop with Bluetooth speaker. Use Audubon field guide calls — either online here, or download the app.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...