Organic soil as a substrate

I'd not use it.  Unless you are doing a plants only tank.  You will need to cap it as well.

Ammoniacal nitrogen (NH3-N) is a measure for the amount of ammonia, a toxic pollutant often found in landfill leachate and in waste products, such as sewage, ...

Edited by KBOzzie59
  • Like 1

I mostly use organic soil from a local composter here in Vermont.

However, I tend to pick topsoil over potting soil because it is not quite as loaded, and doesn't usually have a manure component. I think this is what @KBOzzie59 is referencing.

How do you plan to cap it with sand and/or gravel? I have been moving towards thinner layers with each tank, but I am always curious to hear about recipes from other hobbyists.

• Like 2

The poultry litter listed in the ingredients will be a constant source of ammonia.

Look for organic potting mix without any fertilizers added, screen it to remove all the twigs and bark, then mix in some powdered clay.

add the mix to the tank dry, and just dampen it slightly before capping with some 2-4mm gravel.

if you try to “float” out the bark and stuff by adding a lot of water (as some advise), you will regret it.  It will take days and days to float out everything and clear.

topsoil is a poor choice, as it is mostly sterile.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tonyjuliano said:

if you try to “float” out the bark and stuff by adding a lot of water (as some advise), you will regret it.  It will take days and days to float out everything and clear.

This is very true of a large tank, but much less true in a nano tank--If you are floating out bark on a dry gallon or so of soil in a 5g bucket you can do it in an evening. But for a large amount,...it will take a bit.

• Like 1