Picking Killi Eggs from Mop

Fish Folk

Our adult pair of Fundulopanchax Scheeli spawn every day in a 10 gal tank. We keep a spawning mop in the tank, and each day — usually after “lights out” — I pull the mop, let drain over the handle of a small net across a bucket, and then pick out eggs and put into water tinted with Rooibos tea to prevent fungus buildup. Once about 50x eggs are pulled (ca. 1x week) all are added to a 1-gal jug with a small sponge filter, Java moss, pothos roots dangling, etc. They’ll hatch in 2-3 weeks. Here’s a short clip. Grabbed 5x eggs here...

8EC1BB83-9DEE-4905-B5F5-16D69475D3CA.jpeg

C6885595-BA57-48FB-A448-3E02160811F5.jpeg

• Like 3

Love your 1 gallon jug setups. Killifish are on my list of things I'd like to eventually keep, but unfortunately they haven't made it high enough to get onto the things I'm actually keeping list, due to space and time constraints. They come up fairly regularly in the regional auctions. If I ever do decide to jump into killies, I can't wait to try out something like your fry hatching setup!

• Like 1

This is awesome!! I'm awaiting my first order of Killifish eggs which should be arriving any day now! I may have to pick your brain soon!

Are you not allowing the eggs to dry before adding the 1 gal tanks? (Side note- those are genius!) 

ETA: Nevermind - just looked up this species and it's not seasonal, which explains the no dry season. Seems like an even better choice of killi species now!

Edited by Kalita
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kalita said:

This is awesome!! I'm awaiting my first order of Killifish eggs which should be arriving any day now! I may have to pick your brain soon!

Are you not allowing the eggs to dry before adding the 1 gal tanks? (Side note- those are genius!) 

ETA: Nevermind - just looked up this species and it's not seasonal, which explains the no dry season. Seems like an even better choice of killi species now!

Yeah, Scheeli are easier than others. 

• Like 1