Question about Dwarf Red Aquarium Lily

My dwarf red aquarium lily has sprouted really well, and I'm starting to see roots shooting down along the sides. This is probably a silly question, but do you continue to leave it on top of the substrate, or should I 'plant' it at this point? I'm an utter gardening/aquarist newcomer, as you can see. 🤣

7enWd4dAbU79nN3iuXEw2h.jpg

Just now, Duke Silver said:

this is straight from the coop blog "Once the bulb begins sprouting leaves, you can gently tuck it into the substrate so that only a third or half of the bulb is buried." 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/dwarf-aquarium-lily-care

I've seen that! But when I tried to do that, my snails keep unearthing it...... I'm doing a water change this evening so I'll see if I can anchor it a bit better in there.

It'll plant itself. You don't have to do anything. The roots will go down and anchor it and it'll be fine. As a general rule in planting anything, higher is safer. Plant something too deep and it's more likely to die. This is true of terrestrial, above ground planting and aquarium planting. There are a few exceptions to that rule but they're few enough that it doesn't matter. (And even the exceptions won't die if planted too shallowly.) 

• Like 2

Just now, gardenman said:

It'll plant itself. You don't have to do anything. The roots will go down and anchor it and it'll be fine. As a general rule in planting anything, higher is safer. Plant something too deep and it's more likely to die. This is true of terrestrial, above ground planting and aquarium planting. There are a few exceptions to that rule but they're few enough that it doesn't matter. (And even the exceptions won't die if planted too shallowly.) 

Oh, this is really helpful. I wasn't sure if planting it now was appropriate or if it would rot if I attempted. I'll let it be after all. It looks GREAT so far, I would hate to kill it with a novice mistake!

Mine is about the same size, and just 1/4 buried so it doesn't roll away. 

On one stem, it grew a root from the middle of the stem. The root reached down and got into the gravel, then as it grew, pulled the stem down flush with the gravel. I assume that means it knows what it's doing.

• Haha 1

Just now, CalmedByFish said:

Mine is about the same size, and just 1/4 buried so it doesn't roll away. 

On one stem, it grew a root from the middle of the stem. The root reached down and got into the gravel, then as it grew, pulled the stem down flush with the gravel. I assume that means it knows what it's doing.

Oh wow!!! I'll just let it be then!

• Like 1