Need help getting a custom acrylic tank

CalmedByFish

I've been trying to contact the same company that did Murphy's tank, but the email bounces back, and the phone number is "currently not in service." 

What I emailed that company is below. Please see if you can think of a solution to my problem. (Google isn't finding me an appropriate company in my area.)

"I have a unique circumstance. My child has special needs, and part of that is a compulsion to slam her head into hard surfaces. My aquariums are glass, and all out of reach. My fish are my sanity-saver, but have to be kept where I can rarely see them, and my daughter can never see them. 

I would benefit greatly from having a safe tank located where I and she both can see it. 

I'm thinking 20 gallons, but even 5 gallons would be worth the effort.

It would need to be strong enough that it could take what amounts to a bowling ball being slammed into its sides and top, dozens of times over the years. For the number of gallons, it would be ridiculously thick acrylic."
  • Like 1

just an FYI, most custom aquarium companys wont do that small of tanks due to the effort and time, its just not worth it.

With that being said I would try your LFS. Where I live I have two LFS doing custom tanks. All though you may be better off creating your own acrylic tank or buying it.

There are tons of Videos on youtube about creating acrylic tanks. I had a freind who did this and he said it was quite easy. 

I would check out the King of Diys channel for tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM9oZkV3tGJuUUhgZaiGZkQ

17 minutes ago, James Black said:

just an FYI, most custom aquarium companys wont do that small of tanks due to the effort and time, its just not worth it.

With that being said I would try your LFS. Where I live I have two LFS doing custom tanks. All though you may be better off creating your own acrylic tank or buying it.

It makes sense that most companies won't do that small, yet the one company I tried says on their website that they do as small as 5 gallon - so there must be someone out there somewhere.

Given how much care my daughter needs, I can't possibly make one myself. But I was recently given some money, which I could use to have someone else do it.

Instead of trying to find a custom tank builder, I would find an acrylic shop. In my area there is a TAP plastics, and most of my boat projects start there. It would get spendy, but they could just make you a waterproof box with extra thick acrylic. I think due to the small size there are few concerns requiring specific aquarium expertise. Make a 5 sided rectangle and put a center brace in. Easy peasy, and they will either do it or know someone who can/will.

• Like 1

• Administrators

My local Tap plastics won't build aquariums. My tank builder will do smaller builds, they just don't cost any less than larger builds. I remember in my store one time I had a rimless frag tank that was 1 inch think and only like 18 gallons. Was a custom order that someone never finished paying for. Contact him on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Clear-Fabrications-2068164953394973

2 hours ago, CalmedByFish said:

"I have a unique circumstance. My child has special needs, and part of that is a compulsion to slam her head into hard surfaces. My aquariums are glass, and all out of reach. My fish are my sanity-saver, but have to be kept where I can rarely see them, and my daughter can never see them. 

I would benefit greatly from having a safe tank located where I and she both can see it. 
I'm thinking 20 gallons, but even 5 gallons would be worth the effort.
It would need to be strong enough that it could take what amounts to a bowling ball being slammed into its sides and top, dozens of times over the years. For the number of gallons, it would be ridiculously thick acrylic."

Instead of a custom tank, how about building a "safety" display case to surround a regular tank, with one sheet of bullet-proof acrylic in the front for the viewing window? I wonder if this option offer two benefits over a custom-built tank: 1) cheaper to build, and 2) easier to find a custom craftsman/builder? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cory said:

My local Tap plastics won't build aquariums. My tank builder will do smaller builds, they just don't cost any less than larger builds. I remember in my store one time I had a rimless frag tank that was 1 inch think and only like 18 gallons. Was a custom order that someone never finished paying for. Contact him on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Clear-Fabrications-2068164953394973

Mine is the same as yours, and they don't make boat parts. But I get them to cut things to size and then can often assemble or get someone else to assemble them for me. They are quite good at precision cuts I have found, even 45 degree angles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cory said:

My tank builder...Contact him on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Clear-Fabrications-2068164953394973

BINGO!!! Just had a detailed phone call with him. He's looking at what scraps he has available when he gets to the shop, I'm taking some measurements, and we're comparing notes tomorrow. It's going to be 1" thick acrylic, and we might even be able to make it 40 gallons instead of the 20 I was hoping for. It certainly will be brat-proof, even when she gets to an adult size.

When this sinks in, I am going to cry. Seriously. 

Thanks @Cory, and thanks to all of you for your ideas. I'd say y'all couldn't believe how much it will mean to me to have this tank... but you probably can. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1