What's up with my Java ?

I think that the ferns sometimes have an extended settling in period.  if it isn't dying, I would just be patient. My Java is probably 4 months old, and most of the original  leaves are gone, but there are a few new tiny leaves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mine did the same when i added them to my tank, there's new leaves growing from the bottom and the old ones aren't dead, just old and I don't know much about plants but I'd imagine it's focusing more energy on the newer leaves than the older ones.

Edited by BigRedd
  • Thanks 1

You could potentially try a potassium supplement, see if that does anything beneficial. It’s probably just that they’re taking their time, as they’re slow growing plants and progress is very tediously noticeable. But sometimes too low of potassium can restrict growth rate, especially for Java fern. It doesn’t always show up as a noticeable deficiency until later on, so sometimes a compromised growth rate can be a sign of it earlier on. 

Edited by Sapere_Ceta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Though Java is super slow growing, I had one die off because it was very early in my fish keeping career and didn't know I wasn't supposed to bury the rhizone- but funnily enough Once I did figure it out it's starting to grow back- but it's been about 7 months and it's barely over an inch again. My vote: No Touchie!!

• Like 2

My Java was not a great looking plant when I bought it, so whatever happens, its all good.  A little additional reading after seeing this post seemed to imply that they don't like really bright light.  Additionally my fern seemed to wander around the tank.  It is currently tied to a rock next to the HOB.  I don't know if this is an ideal location, but the Anubia seems to love it.