Bolivian Rams?

ChemBob

So I built out my 40 breeder originally with Apistos in mind. Never got them because life. Between work and Covid, it just never happened. Saw Bolivian Rams on one of the Coop's videos a few months ago, and have been considering them instead. Current stocking in the tank is a group of about 8 Sterbai corydoras, a group of about 9 Beckfords pencilfish, a red lizard whiptail catfish, a siamese algae eater, some amano shrimp, and snails. I am currently running the tank around 74 to 76F, and would probably bump that up closer to the 78 to 80F mark. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on Bolivian Rams in this mix? Any suggestions on being successful with them? I see lots of information on the German Rams, but am not finding as much on the Bolivian Rams. I don't want to run my tank up into the mid 80s, as I don't want to change the other fish and plants, so the German Rams are not an option. 

20210425_082031.jpg

• Like 1

I would get no more than 4 b. rams - either all the same sex or 2 m and 2 f. While not overly aggressive some issue does arise once they bond to a mate. naturally this won't happen if they are all the same sex. Your tank can easily support two pairs.  Of course in addition to bolivans and the 100 or so species of aspito there are 100s of other commonly available dwarf cichlid that would also work. Some quite deep in personality and mating ritual others just simply flashing lovely with bright colours et all. Most of them range in size from 2 inch to 4 inch but some are slightly smaller and some slightly larger. Most of them would work well with your current stocking with the primary limiting is to avoid those that prefer warmer or cooler waters (your temp range covers the most common species but some prefer warmer waters such as german blue ram.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, anewbie said:

I would get no more than 4 b. rams - either all the same sex or 2 m and 2 f. While not overly aggressive some issue does arise once they bond to a mate. naturally this won't happen if they are all the same sex. Your tank can easily support two pairs.  Of course in addition to bolivans and the 100 or so species of aspito there are 100s of other commonly available dwarf cichlid that would also work. Some quite deep in personality and mating ritual others just simply flashing lovely with bright colours et all. Most of them range in size from 2 inch to 4 inch but some are slightly smaller and some slightly larger. Most of them would work well with your current stocking with the primary limiting is to avoid those that prefer warmer or cooler waters (your temp range covers the most common species but some prefer warmer waters such as german blue ram.

Any suggestions to look at? Even if I don't get them, I love to look. One day, I'll get a big tank with some larger SA cichlids. I definitely want some geophagus at some point, just don't have a spot at the moment. 

Oh here are a few:

elizabeth apistogramma (does best in black water)

Laetacara curviceps

Laetacara dorsigera

nannacara anomala (not as colourful but lots of personality)

some of the apistogramma agassizi have really nice colouring

apistogramma erythrura
Apistogramma sp. "Abacaxis 

P taeniatus (these are similar to kribs)

Pelvicachromis subocellatus (a more colourful krib that is a little more peaceful)

apistogramma nijjensi

-

You have to be a little careful because some of these fishes are harem beaders (m with multiple females) and some are strick m:f bonding. Some can be on the more aggressive side of things and some of the aspito require blackwater to live or breed (low ph very soft).

• Like 2

I have had 1 bolivian ram in my community tank for almost a year. It is thriving. I keep the tank at about 76 to 77 degrees. I just added 4 more. The tank is a 125g with a bunch of platys and various tetras. It's really cool to see them interact with each other and color up the way they do. They get along with all the other fish. In my opinion these are great fish and very underrated. I enjoy them immensely. 

• Like 1