When to euthanize

Benniboop

I have a Betta who is ~4+ years. He’s been laying on the bottom of his own 10g tank for a few weeks, I have tested, salted, medicated, reduced water so he didn’t struggle to get to the top, finally moved him to a small 1.5 g so I could focus in, to get him food, made a black water tank & he’s just not improved. I think the humane thing would be to euthanize, but it’s just so difficult to actually do! Either way I feel terrible. Any words of wisdom?

• Sad 4

One of the hardest things to do, ever, in life is to make the decision to euthanize a pet. Even when you can see they have lost quality of life and may even be suffering our, selfish- but loving side, doesn't want to let them go yet. But I always try to put myself in their "fins" in this case. Would I want to live like this? If the answer is no....as much as it hurts, the decision has to be made. He's FOUR!! That's incredible! I've sadly never been able to get a Betta to 4! You obviously have taken good care of him and care about him very much. I'm so very sorry he's ill and you are faced with this decision. 

• Like 4

I agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX. It’s really impressive that your betta is four—he’s clearly lived a great, healthy life and you should be proud of that!

Euthanizing fish is always sad, but sometimes it’s the kindest thing we can do. I would say it’s time to euthanize when your gut says it’s time. If he seems like he’s just chilling and not in pain, it’s okay to let him chill. But if he seems like he’s suffering and your instinct says it’s time, then it’s time. ❤️

I’ve euthanized several fish with clove oil, and the directions I followed say to do a very small amount at first, just to knock the fish out, before using a larger dose. It definitely seems like the kindest way.

It will feel terrible, no getting around that, but ultimately you can be confident that you did your best by him, in life and in death.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We’ve had our betta for about a year now. I’m so sorry you are faced with this. I don’t want to think about the inevitable days for all our pets. But who would trade we we give and receive? I’m smiling now,,,

• 4 weeks later...

I sadly sat watching one of mine die. I did not know about clove oil at the time. I just felt terrible. Wishing there was something I could do for him. Now I know better. I'm so sorry you're facing this terrible decision. 

We had to euthanized our betta of 3 years. About a month ago. Still miss him & his sassy attitude. It was the toughest decision ever. He ended up getting a tumor and sunk to the bottom. We lowered the water and did everything we could but for the sake of quality of life we had to let him go. Sending good vibes your way.