Greetings from NYC!

Eclipse

Hi everyone, 

Happy to be here. I'm a pretty experienced hobbyist from The Big Apple. Living in a small apartment limits the size of tanks I can keep so my largest is a 55 gallon turtle tank (with a basking room on top so don't worry 😉).

I then have two five gallon betta tanks, a small ten gallon betta community, another ten gallon blue dream shrimp community, and a 20 gallon long puffer community tank. No, there is not a bloodbath happening in there.

I have all live plants and my tanks are mostly rather heavily planted or in the process of growing out into a moderately planted look. I am obsessed with colorful and red plants.

20200908_204952.jpg

20200908_225214.jpg

20200908_194054_01.jpg

20200908_194031.jpg

received_975583919533358.jpeg

IMG_20200904_191714_961.jpg

IMG_20200826_200148.jpg

IMG_20200822_042627.jpg

inbound208912544372347694.jpg

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Eclipse said:

I have all live plants and my tanks are mostly rather heavily planted or in the process of growing out into a moderately planted look. I am obsessed with colorful and red plants.

I'm the same with colorful and red plants... had a 30 gallon tank for years but recently started up more and I'm taking it more seriously now... disappointed at the number of good local shops in central NJ for fish and plants, looks like you have a good number of better shops in NYC. 

37 minutes ago, Bill said:

I'm the same with colorful and red plants... had a 30 gallon tank for years but recently started up more and I'm taking it more seriously now... disappointed at the number of good local shops in central NJ for fish and plants, looks like you have a good number of better shops in NYC. 

Yeah, we have more options for sure and local hobbyists are happy to sell plant clippings for cheap or even give them away free sometimes. Maybe you have a local Facebook fish group you can join. That's how I find inexpensive things for the hobby.

I'm in NY too, but waaaaaay upstate. I can't find a pet store or fish group anywhere within 50 miles of me, so I am stuck going to petco/petsmart. Luckily buying online is pretty easy these days and there are a ton of good sellers out there for plants and fish.

Love the pics, some awesome looking fish friends there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rikostan said:

I'm in NY too, but waaaaaay upstate. I can't find a pet store or fish group anywhere within 50 miles of me, so I am stuck going to petco/petsmart. Luckily buying online is pretty easy these days and there are a ton of good sellers out there for plants and fish.

Love the pics, some awesome looking fish friends there!

You can join the NYPT (New York Planted Tanks) group as well as their marketplace group on Facebook. Lots of the members will ship plants to fellow NYers even if you are upstate. I got tons of free plants or plants for cheap and only paid shipping.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

You can join the NYPT (New York Planted Tanks) group as well as their marketplace group on Facebook. Lots of the members will ship plants to fellow NYers even if you are upstate. I got tons of free plants or plants for cheap and only paid shipping.

Appreciate the tip! i stopped using Facebook a few years ago though. I know there are quite a few decent fish related groups on there, but the rest of it just isn't worth it.

33 minutes ago, Rikostan said:

Appreciate the tip! i stopped using Facebook a few years ago though. I know there are quite a few decent fish related groups on there, but the rest of it just isn't worth it.

Oh, I see. Yeah, some groups can be a bit toxic so I understand.