Help Worms

Malakaiea

SO I have had a worm infestation for awhile now and what I have been trying isn't working and I think the only other thing I can use to get rid of them is the API General Cure but I am afraid it will hurt my crayfish I have had her almost a year and she was big when I got her so she isn't a baby but I wanna make sure it will be okay for her. They are not only all over the tank but also on her so I need her to be in the tank when I dose it! Thank you!

I have tried not feeding and traps as well as Prazipro 

these are the worms on one of her molts the are usually on her and the glass 

Screenshot_20210325-083454_Messenger.jpg.ee7f6a5e02be2be5d1d060b3f6cbfa5e.jpg

Those look like planaria, I think I see pointed heads. Pointed heads mean planaria, rounded means it's a flatworm. Regardless, you will have to treat the tank with Fenbendazole (found in dog dewormer - Panacur C) to have any affect on them, the anti-parasite fish meds won't touch them. I've read that when dosed correctly, it should be safe for crayfish, but I'm hoping someone with experience will chime in.

You can also fight them by decreasing the amount you feed. They reproduce when there is an abundance of food, like snails. There are "planaria traps" you can buy online that will help you remove them manually.

I believe these are neither planaria (parasitic flatworms) or detritus worms (detritus-eating annelid worms), but annelid worms called Branchiobdellida, which naturally live on the crayfish's exoskeleton (shell). Biologists consider these hitchhikers "exosymbionts," meaning they coexist in a mutually beneficial relationship with the crayfish. The worms normally do not harm healthy crayfish.  They do not penetrate the shell and feed mostly on microorganisms and detritus. 

crayfish_branchiobdellida_poster_NN1.jpg.c8840a8ef28cb540350e8436af6a9693.jpg

Edited by Anita
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Malakaiea said:

@Anita I was hoping this was the case but they seem to be eating my plants is that normal?  

I am afraid I cannot answer your question—I do not have firsthand knowledge about keeping crayfish! 😁 I searched around until I found what seemed like credible, fact-based resources. Perhaps another crayfish keeper in the forum can help.