weird bubble on fin?

Sal

We've had this angel fish (Melvin) for about a year.   The entire time we've had him, his tail has been split like this, so I never worried too much about it. He is a seemingly healthy fish, he is HUGE, eating well, has even bred with his girlfriend (Susan) several times, though they always eat their babies.😂  I pulled him out of our 55 and put him in QT about a month ago when I noticed that the area in the TOP red circle started to look white - like it might be something fungal - and began treatment with a bacterial/fungal treatment medicine.  The part that I am confused about is the bottom red circle - do you see that little "bubble" on the edge of his fin?  What is that?  

Melvin.jpg.52e4c5917db44e8e629917be8beb20bc.jpg

Both the top discoloration, AND the little bubble on the edge of the fin seem to be responding well to the treatment, but just curious if anyone could help me ID this?  Since snapping this photo last week, the discoloration spot is completely gone, and the "bubble" has shrunk down to almost nothing, but is still kinda there.  So I think I will continue with the final treatment and see it that resolves it.

I have been to the edges of the internet googling fin diseases, and didn't see anything similar.

I found something in "The Manual of Fish Health" by  Dr. Chris Andrews, Adrian Exell & Dr. Neville Carrington fully revised and updated edition of 2010 that sort of looks somewhat like it but I hope I'm wrong. It calls it 'Nodular diseases' caused by microsporidian and myxosporidian parasites such as Ichthyosporidium, Nosema, Myxobolus and Henneguya, and Dermocystidium. It states that most low level infestations go unnoticed by the aquarist but those of the skin, or fins are much more obvious. Also states that there are no reliable treatments, to maintain the fish in isolation  and if their condition deteriorates they once again advocate euthanasia and to disinfect  tanks and all equipment. Now this is just the closest thing I could find, and I sure hope I'm wrong. Maybe someone else on the forum will know better than I.

Sometimes I wonder why I bought all these books on 'fish health' seems all they ever do is say here this is what it might be, now euthanize your pet. Very few times have they ever produced a workable treatment and solution for me.

I would quarantine Melvin, raise the temperature to around 80 degrees since that's when Ich, another known parasitite usually hatches, and try adding Maracyn parasite treatment, and adding some salt.

I hate that this happened he is such a beautiful fish. I really hope I'm wrong @Sal

• Like 2

Could be a small cyst or just some irregular growth, maybe the fin's trying to grow back together a bit? If it's going away on its own and the fish seems healthy (sounds like it!), no reason for concern. But if it comes back or multiplies, I'd start with a light dose of aquarium salt and take it from there.

3 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

Sometimes I wonder why I bought all these books on 'fish health' seems all they ever do is say here this is what it might be, now euthanize your pet. Very few times have they ever produced a workable treatment and solution for me.

LOL

spacer.png

• Haha 1

LOL!

Cheese und Krackers!

Ahhhnold aside, I'd take cyst any day over nodes. Thanks @Kirstenthat sounds like a workable approach, I really get frustrated reading through these fish health tomes, going into every detail of the pathology, and then concluding without treatment recommendation. At least in nursing there were very few diseases without recourse.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jungle Fan said:

LOL!

Cheese und Krackers!

Ahhhnold aside, I'd take cyst any day over nodes. Thanks @Kirstenthat sounds like a workable approach, I really get frustrated reading through these fish health tomes, going into every detail of the pathology, and then concluding without treatment recommendation. At least in nursing there were very few diseases without recourse.

Yeah, and I'm all for euthanasia if an animal is obviously suffering, but when we can't get labs run and it's hard to tell if an animal's even sick, much less spiraling the drain, I think it's worth sticking it out to see if a treatment works.

It would be awesome to have a practical guide to freshwater fish illness for the average aquarium keeper. Hint, hint @Cory!

Edited by Kirsten
  • Like 1

I'd definitely have a hard time thinking this was Ich, at least in comparison to any other run-in with ich we've had in the past.  I had been thinking some kind of fin rot/bacterial/fungal thing up until I noticed the little bubble.  Will definitely raise temp and try maracyn or salt as next steps.

He's not (in any obvious way that I can decipher) suffering at this point, will be keeping a good watch on him.

Thanks for helping out!  ❤️

edited to add:  Nevermind, I've learned now that the "Ichthyosporidium" mentioned is completely different than regular Ich.  🤦‍♀️. Bear with me as I am still learning.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1