Sponge filters only for goldfish tank?

Myznada08

Hey guys! I just set up a 40 gallon breeder for my 2 fancy goldfish...... I was wondering if you guys had success with sponge filters only on a goldfish tank? Do you think it'll be enough filtration? I have a HOB on their 20 long now, but I'd love to just have the sponges...  What do you guys think🤔

20210321_221136.jpg

I have three 3-4 inch fancies in a 40b with one sponge filter and one HOB.  You could always see how it goes with your two sponge filters and switch one out for a HOB if you aren’t happy with how the water quality works out.

The reason I went with one HOB is because I wanted to be able to change out filter media to help freshen up water after medication and in I had to do a lot of mechanical filtration to get particles out of the water column.

• Thanks 1

Two Sponge filters are totally fine for goldfish, goldfish do not like high glow which is what makes sponge filters so great for them, plus they are actually good at the mechanical piece so well since goldfish will continue to break down all the other waste in the tank. 

I am running a 270 gallon on two sponge filters right now.

• Thanks 1