Suggestions on making a hinge for this top?

ange

I'm refurbishing an old aquarium and need to repair the hinge on the lid. It was previously held together with silicone that was dried out when I purchased it. I don't believe it ever had a handle however my idea was to create a hinge+handle that is a very similar style to one of the Aqueon versa tops. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to accomplish this? I know that some stores sell replacement pieces for versa tops and planned to purchase one of the handles, but I'm hoping for an alternative that will allow me to use a clear adhesive instead of their black strip. Thank you in advance for all suggestions!

650623637_Siliconecuring2.jpg.621ac74506403bac5eefa59dcfecff5f.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a tricky one, no doubt. A couple years ago I spent a lot of time looking for clear hinge material that I was sure would fit, and although they exist on Amazon, I've never been confident they'll grip the glass tightly enough.

However, I have had decent luck with these clear acrylic hinges:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071DPMQXV

I bonded them to glass with epoxy, and they hold reasonably well.

Lately, making my own lids from polycarbonate sheets from Home Depot has been most effective:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunlite-24-in-x-48-in-x-5-16-in-Polycarbonate-Clear-Twinwall-Sheet-174040/305560353

That material is so lightweight that I can literally use clear packing tape as my hinge, and it holds well!

Hope some of that helps!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robin said:

Do you have a picture of the polycarbonate lids you made? I'd love to see how it looks and fits. Is it clear like glass so the plants get all the light they need?

I think Tazawa tanks explains it best. This is the video that inspired me to do it:

Here's a picture of my own application:

spacer.png

• Thanks 3

• 2 years later...
On 8/30/2020 at 4:00 PM, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

Clear gorilla tape works pretty good as a DIY hinge. Lasts quite a while and is easily replaced when needed. 

That's what I did for my lid. 2 pieces glass, with about 3/8" gap in the middle. Taped both sides. I added craft mesh to go around the filter, etc. to keep my(future) Nerite snails in. Oh, and I added a ring pull to pull it open.1549272830_LidLeft1.jpg.350ddc9f104b88ffad1e4662ba02d17c.jpg

• Like 2