Sand made water Cloudy

What kind of sand?

Aquarium Sand?  I might give it 15-20 minutes to settle a bit.   Heavy particles will settle pretty fast and leave dust suspended in the water column.  Non Aquarium sand I might wait longer.   

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

What kind of sand?

Aquarium Sand?  I might give it 15-20 minutes to settle a bit.   Heavy particles will settle pretty fast and leave dust suspended in the water column.  Non Aquarium sand I might wait longer.   

It's all purpose sand, I was told that was safe to use. =/ and it's been like two hours and it's still very cloudy, even though I thoroughly rinsed it. 

Edited by MeggersNCat

13 minutes ago, MeggersNCat said:

It's all purpose sand, I was told that was safe to use. =/ and it's been like two hours and it's still very cloudy, even though I thoroughly rinsed it. 

I found with sand like the one you bought (in my experience pool filter sand) clouds up the water a lot, even if you rinse it thoroughly. I had this same experience when I first tried it out. I would suggest taking it out of the aquarium, and putting it in a five gallong bucket outside. Then, run a water hose through the sand for around 5-10 minutes or so until the water is completely clear. Then it will be clean and ready to be used in the aquarium.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Like 2

The fish should be fine. Back when I kept marine fish dolomite was the substrate of choice and it was impossible to get clean. You'd have a white haze in the water for days. Eventually it settles out. You can use one of the precipitators/water clarifiers to clear the cloudy water if you want to. Pretty much every aquarium chemical company makes one. API's is Accu-Clear, Tetra's is  Water Clarifier. They pretty much work like a glue in the water and bind together the smaller particles to make bigger particles that you then either filter out or that fall to the gravel. I've never been sure how safe they truly are to use, but they've been on the market forever. I wouldn't use one frequently for fear it would bind up too much of the good stuff, but when you put fresh sand in, it's not a horrible option. It'll clump together the little cloudy particles and they'll fall to the bottom or get pulled in by your filter.

5 hours ago, gardenman said:

The fish should be fine. Back when I kept marine fish dolomite was the substrate of choice and it was impossible to get clean. You'd have a white haze in the water for days. Eventually it settles out. You can use one of the precipitators/water clarifiers to clear the cloudy water if you want to. Pretty much every aquarium chemical company makes one. API's is Accu-Clear, Tetra's is  Water Clarifier. They pretty much work like a glue in the water and bind together the smaller particles to make bigger particles that you then either filter out or that fall to the gravel. I've never been sure how safe they truly are to use, but they've been on the market forever. I wouldn't use one frequently for fear it would bind up too much of the good stuff, but when you put fresh sand in, it's not a horrible option. It'll clump together the little cloudy particles and they'll fall to the bottom or get pulled in by your filter.

Ooh! Very interesting!! Thank you 😊