Oops!... Wish I hadn't done that.

Trish

I remember when I started up my new 40 gallon breeder, I lugged bucket after bucket of water until it was full, put in the substrate, added the canopy, LED's only to discover I hadn't left enough room between dresser and the wall to put the HOB's on.  Darn!!   Ok deconstruct...syphon and dump all the water, struggle to move the dresser away and repeat the refill.   I've never made that mistake again.  

No one else makes mistakes right?  :classic_wink:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Trish said:

No one else makes mistakes right?  :classic_wink:

I had this happen earlier.

I just changed out the pads on my Magnavore 8 magnetic algae scraper when I let the 2 halves get too close. Bam! 2 fingers and a thumb slammed inside. Fortunately my wife was nearby and was able to help me get my fingers and thumb out.

Now, beside the pain, my current problem is separating the 2 halves again. The nearest strong thing metal thingy nearby were kitchen knives and I have gotten those wedged in but still no luck at getting even a millimeter of separation.

My wife is incredulous at this knife solution saying, 'I'd film this but I don't want to get blood on my phone.'

20200807_3162.JPG.54fbcd6374df91ab2113eb

Any ideas on getting these 2 magnets apart that won't involve a trip the emergency room?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

@DanielI'm in the market for a new algae scraper..  now you have me fearful :classic_wacko:  Have you tried twisting instead of pulling to separate?   Really sorry to hear about your fingers.. ouch, look at the bruise.  I can picture a few more metal objects gravitating to it before you get it unstuck.  Be careful now!  This definitely fits "wish I hadn't done that"...

Edited by Trish

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Any ideas on getting these 2 magnets apart that won't involve a trip the emergency room?

This manufacturer shows how to separate neodymium super magnets. They suggest twisting or sliding rather than prying. (Bravo  @Trish!) For medium magnets, try using the edge of a sturdy table to shear the magnets apart. For the large ones you cannot wrestle apart by hand or table, they recommend a tool that shears them apart. They post videos for each technique, https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=separating-magnets, and a link to instructions for a DIY tool for separating large super magnets.

Be careful! 🏥

• Like 1