Plant products immediately?

4 minutes ago, CA Dad said:

Do we need to transfer new plants to the substrate or onto hard scape promptly, or can they remain in their little plastic shipping/growing containers for an extended period?

I have left mine in the pots they ship in for weeks at time with no harm to the plants.

• Like 2

I rearranged my aquarium a few times (since I had gotten my first shipment of plants from Aquarium Co-op), and effectively killed all of the plants (shrank them down to stumps in a few cases). I should have left all of them potted until I knew no more rocks or sand would be shifted. Also, I find it easier to place root tabs in the bottom of the pots than in the substrate. I might cut out the bottom of the pots so they can easily be removed from around the plants one the plants have taken root or sent out multiple runners. 

Depends on the plant?  I place a root tab in the rock wool and plant them.  As for plants that send out runners this seems to work fine.  If the bottom of the tank isn’t covered I just look up from time to time.  When I can see the root system (and I use mostly UGFs) I know the plant has a great network of roots.  This also helps in the placement of future root tabs as I can see the roots.  Anyways back to baskets. Once the plant is well established and sent out several runners if I feel there is any benefit to removes I do it then.   
Good Luck 

• Like 1