Female vs. Male Sparkling Gourami

Took me a while to get these shots but here are photos comparing female vs. male sparkling gouramis.

It helps to have some sort of light source shining through them (similar effect as shining a light through a chicken egg to check for an embryo). They’re quick, shy fish so this can be tricky unless they’re in a specimen container or you’re patient😂

The key is to check the area below the grey line on their bodies. Females will have a triangular shape behind their gut area (their ovaries). The shape may turn slightly orange the closer they get to breeding time. Males will just have a fully transparent space behind their gut area. It can be difficult to tell if they’re too young though.

I should note that in this photo, the female appears to have less grey spots than the male but I think this is just my particular female. Usually you can’t tell males and females apart based on external characteristics.

8F7E630C-799D-49B5-82F3-B2716C53EA6D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, gogomarigo said:

I just got them this weekend from the Co-op but I’m hoping they’ll spawn for me!

If you do, make a post with information. They are a species that is on my list that I want to get some of and try my hand at spawning, so its always good to hear what other hobbyists have found. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

If you do, make a post with information. They are a species that is on my list that I want to get some of and try my hand at spawning, so its always good to hear what other hobbyists have found. 

Will do! 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 years later...