L134 Pleco breeding questions

FishyMike

I have a pair of L134 leopard Frog pleco and am interested in breeding them. I have a 20 long community tank with what I think is close to optimal circumstances. I feed the tank a large variety of food. extreme krill, hikari carnivore pellets, baby brine shrimp, blood worms, extreme community and sera flake food.(the love it all! but the pair hardly even notice each other? I think the only time I saw them interact was one day I saw one go into a cave that he thought was empty and it wasn't then he got out quick. Should i just keep on doing what I'm doing and cross my fingers or do i have to be deliberate with a plan? i got the pair in December and the water is at 82 degrees.   

Edited by Mikeo

• Administrators

Without knowing how old they were when you got them, but if it was tank bred, probably 6 months or less in age. They've be maybe 1 year old currently. At least 1 more year before they are old enough to start breeding. Often times it takes until year 3 to see breeding happen. This fish is like zebra plecos in that they need to be mature to start breeding in my experience.

Thank you for your reply it is greatly appreciated! yes that was one of my thoughts they might not be ready. Are they known for spawning in a community tank or should they be alone? most of what i see online is pretty much alone. 

I would use a spawning tank.  But, sometimes plecos feel more comfortable with a dither fish swimming above.   Something very peaceful and in the upper 1/2 of the water column.  
Also , age is more important than size.  Also I think time in the tank with little to know disturbance.  I have had plecos spawning and for whatever reason I needed to more them (new flooring) and they stopped spawning for over 15 months.   
Good Luck 

If the other fish in the tank are of decent size, say larger than a guppy, they could eat any pleco fry. Keep that in mind if you do a mixed tank. My swordtails consider baby bristlenose plecos a good treat. Once the babies are an inch or so long they're safe, but until then they're at high risk. I might be a bit nervous about larger female guppies also. Some of them can get pretty big. Small tetras would be ideal tankmates.