Best brine shrimp hatchery

Chiclid addict

Well in my biased opinion being a Co-op fanboy i'd recommend the ziss brine shrimp hatchery https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/ziss-brine-shrimp-hatchery Personally after trying multiple diy hatch set ups and dealing with the struggle of them i decided to save up and buy this one. Its just a good quality product that has made hatching brine much easier for me. 

The Ziss really does look like the Cadillac* of brine hatchers.  I want one but I can't justify paying so much for one.  But I think if you want the least hassle for the most hatches that's probably the way to go.

*Note to readers under 80 years old: Cadillac was the quintessential luxury car brand in America before it was just a "grandpa car" brand that ran really lame ads trying to remind younger people they existed

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, CT_ said:

The Ziss really does look like the Cadillac* of brine hatchers.  I want one but I can't justify paying so much for one.  But I think if you want the least hassle for the most hatches that's probably the way to go.

*Note to readers under 80 years old: Cadillac was the quintessential luxury car brand in America before it was just a "grandpa car" brand that ran really lame ads trying to remind younger people they existed

Lol I wish I could like the first part and laugh at the last part

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll get lots of positive notes on the Ziss hatcher, and I have no doubt it's great, but after seeing one in person it looked way too large for my needs. So far, I've used an inverted 2L/1L bottle with a 1/4" airline cap from Amazon and a 3D printed version which incorporates a stand. I only hatch ~1/4tsp at a time and the smaller volume helps keep hatch rates high with minimal waste. I can hatch plenty of BBS with only 16oz of water. So far, I prefer the 3D printed hatcher because the footprint is more compact, but hatch rates with both were close to identical. If I recall correctly, the 2L cap was $4 and the 3D printed hatchers were free from friends with printers, both hard prices to beat if you're working with small volume.

If I had more fish to feed I'd almost certainly own a Ziss blender, but right now it would be like buying a Ferrari to drive to my mailbox.

36 minutes ago, Schwack said:

I'm sure you'll get lots of positive notes on the Ziss hatcher, and I have no doubt it's great, but after seeing one in person it looked way too large for my needs. So far, I've used an inverted 2L/1L bottle with a 1/4" airline cap from Amazon and a 3D printed version which incorporates a stand. I only hatch ~1/4tsp at a time and the smaller volume helps keep hatch rates high with minimal waste. I can hatch plenty of BBS with only 16oz of water. So far, I prefer the 3D printed hatcher because the footprint is more compact, but hatch rates with both were close to identical. If I recall correctly, the 2L cap was $4 and the 3D printed hatchers were free from friends with printers, both hard prices to beat if you're working with small volume.

If I had more fish to feed I'd almost certainly own a Ziss blender, but right now it would be like buying a Ferrari to drive to my mailbox.

which 3d printed hatcher did they make you?  do you have a link?

5 hours ago, CT_ said:

It's only money. 

Caddies are (were) nice cars for sure, but I've always been a Packard man myself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Schwack said:

I've used both https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:20839 and https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3313194

I had a bit of trouble getting the first one to sit water tight, but an appropriately sized O ring from the hardware store took care of that.

Ah I saw those before but wondered how you get brine out since you can't really get underneath.  Is that a problem?  or do you just do it on the edge of a table or something?

So before deciding you may wish to think about how much brineshrimp do you want or need to hatch. This ziss is great if you are feeding a bunch.  If you are only doing a few nano tanks, then a smaller  one might be better. 

3 hours ago, CT_ said:

Ah I saw those before but wondered how you get brine out since you can't really get underneath.  Is that a problem?  or do you just do it on the edge of a table or something?

I have a drain line T'd off the air supply line but in front of the air valve. When it's time to harvest, I close up the air line and open up the drain. Gravity forces the water in the container out the drain.