Help ID some things on my plants

Rhonda

4 minutes ago, OceanTruth said:

Your Java Fern is propagating. They are little babies. When they get bigger you can pop them off and replant them.

Lily bulbs get that fuzz when they are first planted. It’s harmless and it goes away on its own.

Oh wow! So does that mean that my Java fern is happy and decided to propagate or is it dying and trying to make more before it dissolves?  

Thanks for the info!! Super helpful, I’m new to plants in my tank.

Usually it means the leaf is about to die off. I doubt your whole plant is in jeopardy. I’m pretty sure, I had one long ago where I popped off some plantlets, but the leaf kept surviving. It was really long ago, so I’m not sure if I’m making that up. Lol. In any case, it’s one of those wait and see type of things, in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Rhonda said:

My son has a high powered microscope so we decided to look at the “fuzz” and found nematodes.  From what I read, nematodes can destroy a tank.  Any experience there??

There are 15,000 species of nematodes. A typical handful of soil has thousands. Of those, only a very few are pests. I would not worry, these are eating the biofilm most likely, which is how it "goes away on its own". We often forget how much life we are surrounded by.

• Like 2