Tips on Cleaning Fry tank

GoldenGardner

HI All! Our main tank is doing really well, due to all the tips I've received on here. Thank you for that! I ended up getting a second tank on Sunday for a our guppy fry, because our female guppy had babies! YAY! It was very exciting. I didn't like them separated in a breeding tank in the main tank so I took 5 gallons of water from the main tank and put it in the new 5 gallon tank. I also had a large filter in the main tank just to get good bacteria on it and moved it to 5 gallon one. It's way too big for that one, but it's got all the good bacteria on it. I bought a small filter from Aquarium Coop on Sunday but forgot to buy tubing so I just threw it in the main tank so that it could start getting some good bacteria on it. I'm going to move it to the 5 gallon tank after I get tubing and let it run in the main one for a bit. There's also a snail in the 5 gallon.

I have been reading a little bit about having guppy fry and what I've read is:
- do frequent water changes

- give them a variety of food. (I'm giving them Aquarium Coop's Fry food, and crushed up flake food.) I also picked up crushed coral to put in the tank.

- Feed them often (I've been doing 3-4 times a day.) 

I've not done a water change yet, it's Wednesday, they've been in there since Sunday. I imagine I should do one today, any tips on doing one with the tiny fry in there? I'm concerned I will suck them up with the vacuum hose. On top of it our bathroom which is right next to this is being remodeled so I need to plug into a faucet that is much farther away, so I'm concerned about the delay in yelling to turn the water off or whatever. 

I've included tips of our new 5 gallon tank, and our main tank.

Any tips? How often is frequent? 

154509567_237043641421216_4944588695960064705_n.jpg

153610153_794747301121949_2394462622370635064_n.jpg

I use an old filter bag over a normal siphon attached with a rubber band when water changing my guppy tank. But cheese cloth or old panty hose would work any fine mesh fabric. when I gravel vac I do it into a 5 gal bucked and check with a flashlight for any babies sucked in. Depending on how many plants you have in the tank I would feed heavy and water change 2 or 3 times a week if you want really fast growth.

• Like 1

My guppy fry tank is a 3 gallon cube.  For water changes I will syphon with air house into a 1 gallon pitcher.  I always have one or two fry go for a ride but just net them out of the pitcher and put them back in the tank.  I have never had one show signs of injury after they go for a ride. I am feeding mine COOP fry food and baby brine shrimp.

• Like 1

You could place an inlet pre-filter over the end of your siphon hose. Or if you're careful, you could siphon rigtht off the top of your sponge filter...or shut of the air and draw water right from the sponge filter tube.

As for water changes, more the better...I tend to do 50% twice a week.

• Like 1