Using course spong media

Leakyduck

Looking to use the aquarium coop course black media and the white fine poly in my aqueon hangon filter. I cannot fit both in there so I was thinking on cutting the thickness of the Black course down or should I just use the fine white one only. Just not sure how to put these in. Any suggestions I would appreciate it 

Screenshot_20210220-155839_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210220-155855_Chrome.jpg

Yeah I cut the course sponge to fit in filter and then got the thickness in half and used with the white fine pad. I hope it works I hate the refill cartridge.  I'm afraid when I cut the black sponge in half it will not filter enough of the large out. 

I was able to split the polishing pad in half and have been using it that way. I have the Marineland reusable cartridges ( MarineLand Cartridge Media Refill for Penguin 200/350 Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YSR24M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_X6NE31K4TANG8TQCG2D6  )

I filled the deep side with split bio rings and and the shallow side with the split polishing bad. If you put the original outside so that the water flows through it first it seems to last longer and rinse better. I have been able to use them a couple times. Before needing to toss them. 

I would think if you cut the course in half it wouldn’t be enough. In my Marineland 350 of aquaclear 70 sponges first (2 tall) but have to shave off about a 1/4 inch so it will fit between the back and my reusable cartridges. 

good luck

I use 1 & 1/2” X 3 &3/4” poly pad in place of that square sponge on the out take of my aqueon quiet flow 20. The rest of the filter is solid sponge pad. Yeah i change out a tiny piece of poly pad once a week but i can get 6 months worth of poly pad use for $7 from the co-op vs $20 for 3 months of cartridges. 

CF5CB40F-308E-49AB-9F8C-3A631B611315.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Will Billy said:

I use 1 & 1/2” X 3 &3/4” poly pad in place of that square sponge on the out take of my aqueon quiet flow 20. The rest of the filter is solid sponge pad. Yeah i change out a tiny piece of poly pad once a week but i can get 6 months worth of poly pad use for $7 from the co-op vs $20 for 3 months of cartridges. 

CF5CB40F-308E-49AB-9F8C-3A631B611315.jpeg

I like your setup with this. What is the fine you are using? Aquarium coop fine stuff?

2 hours ago, Leakyduck said:

What is the fine you are using? Aquarium coop fine stuff?

Yes, it is their poly pad. It works great for polishing my water, without removing too much of my tannins. Using such a small piece I can cut out 26 pieces from 1 polly pad, and I feel like using such a small piece i can saturate each piece with debris more than a larger piece without causing overflow. Also by placing it where the aqueon sponge is if it does over flow it only overflows the top of the poly pad allowing the rest of the hob to function as intended. As stated they do last only about a week, but thats because your entire tank is being forced through such a small surface. At 26 pieces per pad thats 6 months and 2 weeks per polly pad for $7. Here is a picture of my cardboard template i made for cutting out the pieces, and an at scale model of the most efficient grid ive been able to come up with. The shaded areas at bottom and side, are the leftover scrap pieces using dimensions for aqueon quiet flow 20. 

DDAC9014-6648-4214-8C57-90F3770DC9D2.jpeg

Edited by Will Billy
Autocorrect cant read my mind
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Will Billy said:

Yes, it is their poly pad. It works great for polishing my water, without removing too much of my tannins. Using such a small piece I can cut out 26 pieces from 1 polly pad, and I feel like using such a small piece i can saturate each piece with debris more than a larger piece without causing overflow. Also by placing it where the aqueon sponge is if it does over flow it only overflows the top of the poly pad allowing the rest of the hob to function as intended. As stated they do last only about a week, but thats because your entire tank is being forced through such a small surface. At 26 pieces per pad thats 6 months and 2 weeks per polly pad for $7. Here is a picture of my cardboard template i made for cutting out the pieces, and an at scale model of the most efficient grid ive been able to come up with. The shaded areas at bottom and side, are the leftover scrap pieces using dimensions for aqueon quiet flow 20. 

DDAC9014-6648-4214-8C57-90F3770DC9D2.jpeg

Thank you ! I'm going to try it on my second tank not currently transfered over to reusable filter.

Does your setup take out any cloudiness in the water?

1 hour ago, Leakyduck said:

Does your setup take out any cloudiness in the water?

Yea it does. My original goal with it was to optimize the hob filter, but still polish my water with minimum tannin removal. This setup achieved what i was looking for. It does remove tannins but bot that much. 

@Will Billy I have the same filter as you but the 10. I changed out the throw away ones for a reusable one just like you did.. I have a few but use them when I have to clean the water out of meds. As for the specialty section, I too cut some coarse filter media to get more bacteria surface area, but cut carbon or other filter types to fit it when I need something specific. 

I think that is why I like this filter so much, I can add other filter media to the little specialty basket when I need something additional, like carbon, ammonia absorption etc.. I am SO glad I watched Cory rig up my actual filter during a live, because I would be BROKE using those throw away ones. 

and I also love how I can turn it off.. and re start no issues.. it starts working right away...