Tips for feeding submissive fish in the group w/out overfeeding others?

SWilson

Any one have tips for getting food to one submissive/skinny fish in a group of aggressive eaters without over-feeding the dominant ones? 

I have 3 amazon puffers in a 55 gallon, they're still small, about 1" long.  One of them is a bit of a runt, belly is not quite sunken but he's submissive, and unfortunately exhibits much more stereotypies than the other two.  When I feed, he's the last to get anything, and when I try to put food directly in front of him he often misses it.  Meanwhile the other two fill up and the most dominant one starts literally looking like a balloon.  

I have been putting in snails as much as I can while the lights are off and spread them around the tank, so they can hide, and he seems to be able to get a few by hunting them that way.  I'd like to try to fatten him up with bloodworms though.  

Is there anything I can do, other than separating him?  Or just keep doing what I'm doing, as long as he is getting some sustenance? 

I'm trying to get at least 3 more puffers to make a group of 6, hoping to make him feel more secure.  And will try to get more dense plants on the back and sides of the tank to try to cut down on glass surfing. 

9 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

You could try feeding blood worms with tongs (I use large planting tweezers) to the one fish who needs extra TLC. It may take a while for him to get used to the idea. 

Thank you, I have tried that, but it's the same thing, but the fish hesitates, and then the other two have devoured it.  I will keep trying though.  I try feeding them first, and while they're distracted, I offer the third a separate portion.  He/she still takes too long to eat and by then the other two have figured it out. 

I cut up the frozen bloodworm cube and feed it in portions rather than offering the whole thing in there at once. I'm also trying to spread it out and feeding smaller portions of the blood worms twice a day, rather than a larger portion once a day. 

• Like 1

You are planning to do things that seem like they would help.   Hopefully when you get some more puffers and arrange the plants differently, it will work out better.  You sound like you are doing a great job!

I am having the same problem with a juvenile Half banded eel.  But even feeding him with a tweezer after putting food in there for the guppies, the guppies love the smell of bloodworms and would come and steal all of his food.  I ended up rehoming the majority of my guppies and now I am trying to think of tank mates that will be larger so he won’t swallow them when he gets bigger but who will not put compete him for food.  I have been trying to tuck the food into the substrate right in front of him.  But he is not quick at gobbling it up as a lot of fish are.  Any tank mate ideas to suggest?

• Thanks 1

I had to google a half banded eel - what a cool fish!  One of the websites I saw recommended feeding them when the lights are off, which may help from competition from diurnal fish.  The UK based fishkeeper website had a list of suggested tankmates (not sure if I'm allowed to link it), including large rasboras and gouramis.  

I'm trying to figure out how to feed my otocats without the snails stealing it all! But at least there still a bunch in the dish in the morning, so as long as I get up early, and lift slowly, I'm maybe not increasing the population. Gotta get those cats on prepared food before their smorgasbord is finished!