Cherry Shrimp Turning Clear

Jennifer V

Good morning all! 

My cherry shrimp was acting strange last night -- furiously doing laps around the tank then sinking to the bottom. Today he's acting ok but he's turned almost clear. Is this a death knell? 

I did do a water change and add a bunch of plants to the tank yesterday but I checked the water before I went to bed and all the levels were fine. 

1 hour ago, team fishes and shrimps said:

could be molting mating. they may slowly turn clear over time if you don't cull.

I've heard some in new generations in the tank can come out clear but I've only had this guy for two weeks. He was lightly colored when we came in but he's very clear now overnight. I guess I'll find the answer if he dies in a day or two. 

2 hours ago, Marc said:

My shrimp don't like big water changes, The last time I did a 30% change a couple died. I try to keep it to 10%. Also I think the swimming around happens after a water change or when males are looking for a female.

That's probably exactly what it was. It was a rather large water change. Everyone is still alive right now. Maybe he's just stressed out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fishingfool said:

What a coincidence. I did about a 30% water change in my tank recently and lost both cherry shrimps too. Also lost 2 CPD the next day.

Shrimp can usually handle large water changes if the parameters, especially temperature, are very close, and I'm really surprised to hear you lost CPD's.  I routinely change that much water in my CPD tank and haven't had any issues.  Had it been quite a while since the last water change?

5 hours ago, Fishingfool said:

What a coincidence. I did about a 30% water change in my tank recently and lost both cherry shrimps too. Also lost 2 CPD the next day.

Ooops! I didn't mean to hit "like" for that response. Yeah I had no idea they were so sensitive to water changes. Last time I checked, he was upside down on the bottom of the tank but still alive so I imagine it's about over for him, which would be my first causality and makes me sad. 

1 hour ago, JettsPapa said:

Shrimp can usually handle large water changes if the parameters, especially temperature, are very close, and I'm really surprised to hear you lost CPD's.  I routinely change that much water in my CPD tank and haven't had any issues.  Had it been quite a while since the last water change?

I monitor my water almost daily so I know when to change it and have a bucket of declorinated water on standby for water changes so it's room temp. I think this specific shrimp is just sensitive. He's the smallest and most timid of the bunch. (I only have five so it's easy to keep track.)