Deep gravel or sand bed

Mira

Is anyone else running deep gravel or sand beds in heavily planted tanks Ocean Aquariums style? If so can we talk about our experiences with water chemistry? I am running 3-6 inches of gravel in my 10 gallon aquarium and it is heavily planted. It processes nitrates like a beast so I almost never do water changes. However my KH and GH are rising, and my pH when left to its own devices is high. I don't know why these things are happening. I suspect there is some contribution from my tap water quality, but I wanted to see if anyone else is running deep gravel beds and talk about it . 

freshwater aquarium.jpg

• Like 1

I run a deep substrate tank as well, for no other reason than I think it looks nice to me. I can't explain the rise in water parameters either. My water parameters stay pretty much the same all the time. However, I do weekly water changes and I'm not as heavily planted as you are, so our situations are different. Hopefully someone more scientific will know the answer.

• Like 1

If you are adding water to account for evaporation, and not pulling water out during regular water changes, you could be building up ions in the water that the plants aren't using.  You might be able to add more nitrogenous compounds/other things the plants need for further growth, top off with distilled water, or just do regular water changes to help prevent the build up of stuff your plants aren't using.

I do weekly water changes without tight monitoring of water parameters just to make sure I don't end up with a bad build up of stuff in my water (and to just pull some of the less good looking debris out of the tank)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been topping up with DI water and that totally stabilized my pH, KH and GH. I think the problem was my tap water. I will still do about monthly water changes to try to account for any build up of chemicals or ions I am not testing for, but it is not going to be because my parameters are wacky. Thank you so much for your helpful and constructive advice. I really appreciate you!

• Like 1

I have a 4" layer of pool filter sand in my 60g planted display tank...however, I continue to do weekly 50% water changes. I agree with the previous post that your water quality is not the result of your deep gavel bed, but the lack of partial water changes. It's great that you have low nitrates, but tank pollution is not nitrates alone - nitrates keep bad company. Nature keeps freshwater fresh by constantly renewing it with rain and snow melt. We really need to do routine partial water changes to maintain the highest possible water quality. In your case, it would seem that you have an advanced bio-filter in your substrate...and that's GREAT....so great that perhaps you only need say a 50% water change every two weeks or even once a month - but I think you'll find that if you do that, your water quality will be consistently high. 🙂

Edited by MJV Aquatics