I left a small plastic storage box outside all winter with some java fern and wood pieces that had BBA on them. The water in it had ice on the top a few times. I brought it in today and couldn't believe it. The java fern still has green leaves and some new growth. I'm going to trim the dead and dying stuff off and see how it does. That's one tough plant. The BBA is gone, I wonder if the spores survived though. Only one way to find out.

IMG_0628.JPG

• Administrators

Yep, nature is amazing. This is why we say as long as plants don't freeze they are totally fine during shipping. People get worried when plants get cold... All aquatic plants spend their entire lives outside. Many getting VERY cold or freezing at some point in the year.  Even in the amazon, when we were there, it went from 90s to low 50s due to a tropical storm, we were freezing and cold ourselves as we were not prepared for cold temps on the amazon river.

5 hours ago, Cory said:

Yep, nature is amazing. This is why we say as long as plants don't freeze they are totally fine during shipping. People get worried when plants get cold... All aquatic plants spend their entire lives outside. Many getting VERY cold or freezing at some point in the year.  Even in the amazon, when we were there, it went from 90s to low 50s due to a tropical storm, we were freezing and cold ourselves as we were not prepared for cold temps on the amazon river.

I love our hobby. It's so fun to try something new just to see what will happen. Sometimes we get some awesome surprises.