Pakal

Hello, quick question for all you experienced fish-keepers. (I'm a begginer)

In a community tank with a Betta, some Corydoras, a Nerite snail, and some Endlers, how often would you feed the tank, how would you feed the tank, and what would you feed the tank?

2 minutes ago, Pakal said:

Hello, quick question for all you experienced fish-keepers. (I'm a begginer)

In a community tank with a Betta, some Corydoras, a Nerite snail, and some Endlers, how often would you feed the tank, how would you feed the tank, and what would you feed the tank?

I've only been keeping fish for a year and a half, so I am still a beginner, but I'll give some of my suggestions anyway. I would feed flake as a staple for the top dwellers (betta, Endler's livebearers), and then feed shrimp pellets or bottom feeder pellets/wafers of some sort for the Corydoras and snail. If you wanted to, you could supplement both every now and then by providing freeze-dried bloodworms for the top-dwellers and Repashy gel food for the bottom dwellers (these are easy to prepare they are not live foods they are premade). In my tank I have a gourami, Endler's livebearers, cories, a pleco, shrimp, and snails, and it works fine. The only thing I would watch out for is the betta coming down and chasing the bottom dwellers away from the food. My gourami did this, so I had to move him to another tank so that my cories could eat in peace. If your betta does this, drop the sinking wafers in the back of the tank behind decorations or plants so that the cories can get to it but not the betta.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I like to feed multiple smaller meals throughout the day.

If you are feeding flake food, I would submerge a pinch of it under the water so that it sinks right away to make sure the cories get there fair share. The betta and endlers will pick from the water column fine.

Typically I aim for all of the food to be gone in about 2 minutes. If there is still food floating around after 10 minutes, then it was probably too much. 

If you are prepping fish for breeding though, you might want to feed more to fatten them up, but that is another scenario.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feed twice a day i feed a large  range of foods  hikari micro pellets and wafes and vaibra bites  Sera tropical flake hikari algae wafers and sera wood chips bug bites and vegetables and a range of frozen foods  I like to feed different things each day so they have a good range of nutrients from there food e.g equals Betta growth brighter colours Betta health in the long term

• Like 1

Just now, Colu said:

I feed twice a day i feed a large  range of foods  hikari micro pellets and wafes and vaibra bites  Sera tropical flake hikari algae wafers and sera wood chips bug bites and vegetables and a range of frozen foods  I like to feed different things each day so they have a good range of nutrients from there food e.g equals Betta growth brighter colours Betta health in the long term

Me too I use shrimp wafers, bottom dweller pellets, Repashy, algae wafers, and very occasionally cichlid pellets for my bottom dwellers, and flakes, crisps, freeze-dried bloodworms, and fry food for the top-dwellers.

• Like 2