Carpeting plant + Corys?

Mengo

I have a tank with cories and I  want carpeting plants in it too. I have left some parts just gravel for the cories to dig around in. Is there a carpeting plant that can't be easily dug up and looks good at the same time. My tank is being fertilized(substate too), has moderate to high lighting and will have co2 injection(soon).  I am just worried that if I plant the new plants and their roots are not anchored the may just float away when the cories dig there. I'm open to any plant suggestions!

Just now, Brandy said:

How big is your tank? I don't think you will be able to establish some of the finer carpets with corys in residence but if you have a large tank you might get away with some dwarf chain sword or similar runner type plant?

10 gal

Just now, Brandy said:

How big is your tank? I don't think you will be able to establish some of the finer carpets with corys in residence but if you have a large tank you might get away with some dwarf chain sword or similar runner type plant?

so i've got no hope for them then:( 

3 minutes ago, Mengo said:

so i've got no hope for them then:( 

It would be tough. They might leave a carpet alone if it was already established...I don't know for sure.

I think if I were going to try it I would have to have a way to exclude them from an area, OR you could try growing on a piece of window screen in another tank--which does not have to be a fancy tank, but just a tub of water with some light and fertilizer. I would get a small pot of monte carlo or similar, and cut a hole in the window screen and plant thru it. then let the plant spread over it, finally put the screen and all into your cory tank. If anything would work it would be that.

• Thanks 1

Hi @Mengo

I keep Corydoras as well.  One of the plants I have found rather easy to grow even with Corydoras in the tank is Hydrocotyle tripartita (aka sp 'Japan').  I cut the runner about 1/2 way between the leaf nodes and use the pieces of runner to help hold the node in the substrate.  I also bury the nodes 'deep' so just the leaf is showing above the substrate.  Here is a picture of what it looks like when first planted.
1/5/19
spacer.png

2/10/19
spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1