Intake sponge for FX4?

Chewyrat77

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2021 at 1:16 AM, CT_ said:

Looking at the dimensions you could cram a mini into the hole of the large to get a large with the medium hole.  I think some people just rubber band or zip tie around the top too.

What do you think about putting a piece of sponge or something on the inside of the return nozzle?

1 minute ago, Cory said:

You need to use the large intake sponge and make a spacer as shown in the videos. Anything smaller than the large is going to restrict the flow to the motor.

2 minutes ago, Cory said:

You need to use the large intake sponge and make a spacer as shown in the videos. Anything smaller than the large is going to restrict the flow to the motor.

I'm looking to reduce the output flow

• Administrators

If you want to reduce the flow, you'd do that with the valves on the canister. Make sure you don't reduce it too much, as if you restrict it too far it causes problems with the motor long term.

Just now, Cory said:

If you want to reduce the flow, you'd do that with the valves on the canister. Make sure you don't reduce it too much, as if you restrict it too far it causes problems with the motor long term.

Yeah I thought about doing that but don't really want to. Two fx4s on a 125g and wanting to add a betta in with my mollies/platies/variatus. Lol.  Not sure if I'll be able to reduce flow enough. Switched from african cichlids to livebearers is the reason for all the filtration. Maybe the 10g QT is a better place for the betta but I dont want to be pumping meds through him all the time as my 125 isn't fully stocked yet

• Administrators

Why not just remove one of the filters? I'd imagine without seeing the tank that two fx4s is way overkill. I use an fx4 to handle a 230 gallon with an 18 inch puffer no problem. If you have live plants, it would really be easy to eliminate one.

30 minutes ago, Cory said:

Why not just remove one of the filters? I'd imagine without seeing the tank that two fx4s is way overkill. I use an fx4 to handle a 230 gallon with an 18 inch puffer no problem. If you have live plants, it would really be easy to eliminate one.

No live plants but your absolutely right, I could do away with one. I love how clean and polished my water stays though. Lol. I just picked up some pvc fitting on my way to work so I'll see what I can do with those. Maybe having larger openings with reduce the flow enough since it wont be coming through those tapered tips