High PH question

ND1990

My PH is at 8 with my current set up and location. My Chili and Rummy nose are doing fine have been for months, but I know they rather have no more than 7. I have some drift wood and have been trying to slowly lower it that way without success.

Should I keep slowly adding random pieces or anything else I can do? I want to avoid chemicals, but if that’s all I got left then so be it. I have BDBS as substrate so I don’t plan on adding Fluval stratum or anything as of yet. 

image.jpg

I gotta tell you, that tank looks great. Most people chase numbers and parameters to get a tank to look like that. 

Honestly; nothing seems broken, so I wouldn’t fix it. Yes the books say those fish would ideally be found in a lower pH naturally. But there’s always a range and maybe your on the high end but I think consistency is more important then chasing a specific value.  We are also assuming your test kit is 100% accurate all the time, which is just one more variable to account for. 

With that said, I think catapa leaves and Driftwood pieces are options if you really want to add something. But even a small water change though will bump it right back up and depending on how low you get it that swing could be more harmful then keeping at 8. 

Beautiful tank though!

• Like 2

Do you know your carbonate hardness and general hardness (KH and GH)? My guess is that you have fairly hard water, which means it’s going to take a LOT of driftwood to lower the pH.

Honestly if your fish are doing fine, I agree with @ScottieB that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Your tank looks gorgeous and seems to be doing great!

If you really really want to lower your pH, I’d recommend doing some water changes with RO water to decrease some of that hardness. But like ScottieB said, sudden changes are more dangerous for your fish than a consistent pH, even one outside their normal range.

Plus I’m guessing your plants love all those hard water nutrients. 😋

14 minutes ago, ScottieB said:

I gotta tell you, that tank looks great. Most people chase numbers and parameters to get a tank to look like that. 

Honestly; nothing seems broken, so I wouldn’t fix it. Yes the books say those fish would ideally be found in a lower pH naturally. But there’s always a range and maybe your on the high end but I think consistency is more important then chasing a specific value.  We are also assuming your test kit is 100% accurate all the time, which is just one more variable to account for. 

With that said, I think catapa leaves and Driftwood pieces are options if you really want to add something. But even a small water change though will bump it right back up and depending on how low you get it that swing could be more harmful then keeping at 8. 

Beautiful tank though!

You’re right, maybe I’ll just leave it be. Knock on wood there has been no deaths or odd behavior. I was worried about the Chili rasboras mostly they’re my favorite and pretty sensitive. I think the high PH is why they’re not breeding though which is unfortunate. Thank you!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

Do you know your carbonate hardness and general hardness (KH and GH)? My guess is that you have fairly hard water, which means it’s going to take a LOT of driftwood to lower the pH.

Honestly if your fish are doing fine, I agree with @ScottieB that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Your tank looks gorgeous and seems to be doing great!

If you really really want to lower your pH, I’d recommend doing some water changes with RO water to decrease some of that hardness. But like ScottieB said, sudden changes are more dangerous for your fish than a consistent pH, even one outside their normal range.

Plus I’m guessing your plants love all those hard water nutrients. 😋

They are thankfully! I guess after reading more trying to alter 1 degree isn’t worth the risk. Before I moved my PH was 6.8 to 7. The only thing I notice is no spawning by the Rasboras. They do seem to love it! The Side plants grow crazy and are uneven I’m still learning how to trim haha. Thank you as well! 

• Like 1