Aquarium salt for Snail and Plants?

Mengo

I have a fish in my tank with some sort of mild bacteria or fungal infection but I don't have any fish medication other than ich medication. I found that I had a container of sea salt(no additives)that I could add to the tank. I have read aquarium co-op's blog about aquarium salt and it said 1tbs/3gal is safe for nearly all fish. But I also have 1 mystery snail and many live plants. Can someone tell me what level of dosage will be safe?

Idk what a safe dosage is, but from what I’ve heard any amount of salt that would help with the infection would also kill the plants and snails. What salt does is effectively dehydrate the fungus or bacteria, bc water and salt and just chemicals and matter in general like to achieve equilibrium everywhere, so when you have a thing of bacteria or a fish that has very little salt if any inside, and out it in water that has more salt, that salt wants to create a balance between the two. Now bacteria and fungus are much smaller than fish so they get dehydrated faster bc they have less mass to hold water, which is why salt works. The main problem with plants and snails is that especially with snails they don’t have a very hard skin and their skin is very permeable and allows a much easier transition between its insides and the water around it, same with plants, especially water column feeders, which are constantly exchanging water thru it’s cells, thus dehydrating them. So it’d probably be best if you had a quarantine tank to put that fish in or order meds

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spewing_nonsense_ said:

Idk what a safe dosage is, but from what I’ve heard any amount of salt that would help with the infection would also kill the plants and snails. What salt does is effectively dehydrate the fungus or bacteria, bc water and salt and just chemicals and matter in general like to achieve equilibrium everywhere, so when you have a thing of bacteria or a fish that has very little salt if any inside, and out it in water that has more salt, that salt wants to create a balance between the two. Now bacteria and fungus are much smaller than fish so they get dehydrated faster bc they have less mass to hold water, which is why salt works. The main problem with plants and snails is that especially with snails they don’t have a very hard skin and their skin is very permeable and allows a much easier transition between its insides and the water around it, same with plants, especially water column feeders, which are constantly exchanging water thru it’s cells, thus dehydrating them. So it’d probably be best if you had a quarantine tank to put that fish in or order meds

What do I do if I don't have a quarantine tank. If I keep water parameters healthy will the fish heal naturally?

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

What do I do if I don't have a quarantine tank. If I keep water parameters healthy will the fish heal naturally?

Yeah, I would check water parameters and try and make them as good as you can for the fish, keep the fish fed, but definitely don’t overfeed them so as to not make the water quality poor, and also if you have ich medicine, you can dose that to help with fungal infections, assuming that’s plant and snail safe, as some ich medications aren’t, but if it’s ich x it’ll be safe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spewing_nonsense_ said:

Yeah, I would check water parameters and try and make them as good as you can for the fish, keep the fish fed, but definitely don’t overfeed them so as to not make the water quality poor, and also if you have ich medicine, you can dose that to help with fungal infections, assuming that’s plant and snail safe, as some ich medications aren’t, but if it’s ich x it’ll be safe

so i dose ich meds to help although its not ich?