shipping shrimp

Lemon

so I'm hoping to order some cherry shrimp on Sunday or later once the weather is supposed to be cool/warm and I was wondering if usps priority in north west Arkansas is safe right now? not sure if it matters but the store I'm ordering from is flip aquatics thanks 🙂

@quirkylemon103The temperatures in Ohio are pretty low and the overnight temp here in Arkansas is pretty low. I won't bother trying to predict the post office since everything ordered online has delay warnings. So the responsible thing for me to say is that there is some risk, but I had an issue with an order from them once and Rob fixed it promptly. 

• Thanks 1

My guess is that it fairly safe to ship shrimp right now. I have cherry shrimp living outside right now in water with a 1/2 inch layer of ice on top of the water.

It probably safe to say that they wouldn't overheat either if shipped.

Assuming I was buying from a reliable seller, if that seller thought it was safe to ship, that would be good enough for me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My guess is that it fairly safe to ship shrimp right now. I have cherry shrimp living outside right now in water with a 1/2 inch layer of ice on top of the water.

It probably safe to say that they wouldn't overheat either if shipped.

Assuming I was buying from a reliable seller, if that seller thought it was safe to ship, that would be good enough for me.

idk if the seller is reliable it sounds like it though. I'm going to email him today

Flip aquatics is one of the biggest online distributors that I know of, and they have 100% live arrival guarantee and all that. I would go with what @Daniel said. They definitely know what they are doing, and the risk of something happening is mostly on them. They'll likely ship one extra at least and I would expect they would insulate/heat/etc as needed.

If they're willing to ship, I wouldn't hesitate. Though, if you can get your LFS to order some of what you want, that is probably ideal.

Flip aquatics and most other large scale shrimp sellers ship in breather bags, which help a lot, but even if they don't use them, shrimp produce such little waste it wouldn't really matter unless someone shipped 100 cherry shrimp in like a cup of water. And as others have said, shrimp can survive cooler temps, actually a lot better than they can warmer temps. I saw a video on YouTube from someone that they got shrimp that had been in mail for a month or so and they were still alive and well.